Real weak wifi

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mcfant

Real weak wifi

Post by mcfant »

Hi, can anyone tell me why my wifi connection is much slower on linux than what it was on windows?
I had what you could call a normal wifi signal with windows, but when i changed to linux my signal became non existent unless im really close to the router (1 or 2 meters), and even when i get signal, its very weak and internet pages take forever to load.

If i connect with ethernet i dont have any problem, internet is fast.

I have a hp pavilion notebook with a Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter.

How can i fix my wifi? I really need it!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dany96

Re: Real weak wifi

Post by Dany96 »

You have Linux Mint 18.3 installed?
sammiev

Post by sammiev »

Came across this before and solved it with post #52 from this thread.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... 607&page=6

Review the full thread if you have time.
mcfant

Post by mcfant »

Yes Dany96, i do.

And thank you a lot for that thread sammiev, after reading the entire thread i was able to fix the problem!!
Last edited by mcfant on Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

I hope you didn't install anything as the 4.4 kernel has the ant_sel parameter in the rtl8723be module. A lot of info in that thread is outdated
Here is another post I made on ubuntuforums https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st13661389

sammiev, are you an Ubuntu member?
mcfant

Post by mcfant »

yes i read the whole thread so i realized that. i just did:

sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=1
sudo -i
echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=1" > /etc/modprobe.d/50-rtl8723be.conf

but thanks for pointing out that!

Return to “Beginner Questions”