Change gamma setting? (probleme with pixelisation of dark image)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
empereur

Change gamma setting? (probleme with pixelisation of dark image)

Post by empereur »

Hi, I just got a new laptop (Clevo P750TM1-G) which is suppose to be really hi quality. I notice a really bad pixelisation of the dark images, I took a screen shot, but on other device it does not show. I try on external screen and it's still pixelised so it seem to be a software problem.
I tryed to google for a solution and found a really old tread stating to change the gamma setting (i was not for linux) but I have not been able to find anything on google on how to change those setting. (and I am far from sure it is the problem)

I run linux mint 18,3 my video card if nvidia 1060 (mobile version) and I run the proprietary driver
Image is quite good except for dark scene.

the contrast of the screen is suppose to be 700:1

I attach a picture of the pixelisation (i took a picture of my screen)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1Pjf ... ZwVU8xOTVz
it's not the small pixel (cause by the picture) but the larger pixelisation (the gradient of dark is really chunky)

thanks for any help because i really don't know where to look at
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
empereur

Re: Change gamma setting? (probleme with pixelisation of dark image)

Post by empereur »

After googling for a while, I got the idea to do this

Code: Select all

xwininfo

xwininfo: Please select the window about which you
          would like information by clicking the
          mouse in that window.

xwininfo: Window id: 0x1200006 "x-caja-desktop"

Absolute upper-left X:  0
  Absolute upper-left Y:  0
  Relative upper-left X:  0
  Relative upper-left Y:  0
  Width: 1920
  Height: 1080
  Depth: 24
  Visual: 0x20b
  Visual Class: TrueColor
  Border width: 0
  Class: InputOutput
  Colormap: 0x1200005 (not installed)
  Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
  Backing Store State: NotUseful
  Save Under State: no
  Map State: IsViewable
  Override Redirect State: no
  Corners:  +0+0  -0+0  -0-0  +0-0
  -geometry 1920x1080+0+0
So it seam i'm in 24 bit color deep... not 32? is that the problem?
empereur

Re: Change gamma setting? (probleme with pixelisation of dark image)

Post by empereur »

Ok I found the gamma settings (I google it, but all where saying it's under nvidia setting) witch i look at and could not find, I later find out that my video card was actually not working and that’s why I could find those... I a'm honestly surprised noboby could give me an hint on that (kind of : is in nvidia setting, you could have googled --> I did, can't find them --> what do you see? Oh i see you have a deeper problem) That would have save me hours

Anyway, with lowering the gamma settings the black turn out to be way better, but it's just moving the problems around now i still can clearly see the gradient of color but on the less dark spot of the screen. everything seem to confirm I am in 24bit color... So is it normal to be able to see a color gradient on screen? or does it mean I have a low quality screen? is there other setting i should fiddle with?

If you pass by and have an answer but thing it's a dummy question, post anyway, maybe it's not as dummy as you thing for other reason than laziness...

Return to “Beginner Questions”