Windows for applications I install open minimised and can't be maximised

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
smith1984

Windows for applications I install open minimised and can't be maximised

Post by smith1984 »

I'm new to Linux and generally I'm really impressed with Mint, but there's one small initial problem I hope someone can help me with..
All the preinstalled applications run and work great, but I've installed Chrome and Steam from downloaded .deb files and VLC and Minecraft from the software manager and all these user installed applications all have the same issue.
They appear to load fine, they appear in the taskbar but the windows never appear, as if they are minimised, but they can't be maximised whatever I try. If I use alt-tab I can even see that they are there and running fine, I just can't make them appear so I can use them.
I've checked and they also aren't present on another workspace.
I'm running 18.3 xfce 64 bit on an imac, with the nvidia drivers running,
Thanks in advance..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: Windows for applications I install open minimised and can't be maximised

Post by Mute Ant »

Are they running on another imaginary monitor? Control Centre: Displays will show you what Mint thinks is connected and if there's more than one, set "Same image in all monitors".
smith1984

Re: Windows for applications I install open minimised and can't be maximised

Post by smith1984 »

Thanks very much! That was it, glad it didn't turn out to be a big issue
Mute Ant wrote:Are they running on another imaginary monitor? Control Centre: Displays will show you what Mint thinks is connected and if there's more than one, set "Same image in all monitors".

Return to “Beginner Questions”