casting to my smart tv

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ryanmca2018

casting to my smart tv

Post by ryanmca2018 »

Hi people im a complete beginner to linux ive never used it before i think its sonya 18.2 but im not sure lol is there any way i can cast movies that i have saved on my laptop to my smart tv without having to use a hdmi cable ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: casting to my smart tv

Post by deepakdeshp »

The tv should have a USB port . You can see movies copied on a USB drive on the tv.
If you want to cast on your tv from mobile or laptop, use Google Chromecaster or amazon stick
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

A lot of this depends on the capabilities of your smart TV. While many Smart TVs have things like Netflix built-in, you'll need something that accepts a configurable stream in order to cast. Chromecast, as mentioned above, is one of the least expensive of these options.... though you can also use a Roku, FireTV stick, or several other devices if your TV doesn't have a built-in/installable app.

The easiest way IMO is to set up a PLEX server. Many smart TVs have a PLEX app that can be installed/activated - - if not, then we're back to Chromecast/Roku/etc. There's also the Kodi/XBMC media center, but I suspect you'll have an easier time getting the PLEX app running.

Installing PLEX on your laptop is pretty simple. Just go to https://www.plex.tv/ and download the Plex Media Server - - you'll want the .deb file that matches your OS (32 or 64 bits). It's free to set up for use within your network, and only takes a few minutes to install...though you do need to create a free account/username. Once installed, you'd run the setup, create a movie library and point Plex to the folder(s) where your movies are stored. That's about it - - your movie files will be analyzed & sorted, and you'll be able to connect from your smart TV (or streaming device) directly into your movie library using the PLEX app.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

Besides what's been listed above, you can also use your computer as a dlna server by using the appropriate software. (which I think plex does) minidlna and UMS (Universal Media Server) are two (more) that I can think of, minidlna is in the repos, and UMS can be found here.

EDIT: Mediatomb is another dlna server (not lightweight) available in the repos.
Destry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Destry »

I just installed Plex on my LM18.3 KDE and have a 2TB drive full of movies. I use ROKU on 2 of my TVs and the streaming is great. Newer smart TVs have Plex built right in.

Here is a thread I made for adding external drives to Plex. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=258900#p1404514
Desktop: LM 21.1
8 core 16 thread Intel Core i9-9900K (-MT-MCP-) arch: Skylake rev.12 cache: 16384 KB 5ghz
32 gig ram 2080Ti Nvidia Zotac Amp Extreme Gaming 11gb
Laptop: MSI GE76 Raider i9 LM21.1

Return to “Beginner Questions”