[Solved]Updates available keeps showing

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
catch22
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved]Updates available keeps showing

Post by catch22 »

Just upgraded from 18.2 to 18.3 Cinnamon.
The Update Manager icon in the tray stays blue and says 4 Updates available, even though in Preferences I choose the safe midway and only levels 1 and 2 to select.
The 4 available updates are all level 4!
I rebooted but it still doesn't say it is up to date..
Last edited by catch22 on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
done with distro-hopping! Linux Mint desktop / Bunsen Labs netbook

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Updates available keeps showing

Post by JeremyB »

Do you have level 4 updates set as visible? Any visible updates causes it to show updates available in 18.3

catch22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Updates available keeps showing

Post by catch22 »

JeremyB wrote:Do you have level 4 updates set as visible? Any visible updates causes it to show updates available in 18.3
Thanks, that solved it :)
If memory serves me well this behavior wasn't like that in earlier releases. Anyway.. no big deal I guess..

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: [Solved]Updates available keeps showing

Post by Cosmo. »

Yes, this has been changed and it is somehow consequential. Level 3 / 4 updates are not meant to get skipped, as the help file for the update manager describes, but to be handled with some extra care. Timeshift is one of the possibilities for this extra care.

catch22
Level 3
Level 3

Post by catch22 »

Cosmo. wrote:... Timeshift is one of the possibilities for this extra care.
Timeshift?
I remember seeing something about that in the release notes for 18.3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh08GvrUivc in case anyone else reading this is wondering.. :wink:

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

A number of people have reported this bug. Yes, I said bug. (Or maybe it's a design flaw.) After installing the updates I have my system set to install, I consider it to be up to date. But the icon remains blue. Not the behavior I would expect, nor what a bunch of others would expect.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't judge this as a bug, but as a consequential change. The mistake about it is, that in the "What's new" page this change is nowhere documented. It is a fault to surprise the users with a changed behavior without letting them know about the change. This must lead to confusion.

As the UpdateManager (UM) help says, all level of updates (exclusive 5) should get applied, but level 3 & 4 need some special precautions. So, if there are not yet applied updates in level 3 or 4 the system is by definition not up to date. So far I think, that the old behavior was wrong; it gave a false sense of "all OK", although it was not true. As the help file for UM also says, level 3 & 4 should get applied one by one, not all together, so that in case of a regression it is possible to say, which update gave the problem. (The help file does indeed still in 18.3 miss to advice to reboot after the update, so that also services, which get started in the background, do really use the update.) Another thing is to take a measurement to be able to revert to the previous state. A image backup would of course do this, but with TimeShift (TS) this is far easier to do. I recommend to add TS to the favorites in the menu or into the quick launcher in the panel to make it easier reachable. With the tests I have done since testing 18.3 TS does the job to revert perfectly - if after rebooting the updated system still the desktop is reachable. I had not yet the time to see, how TS can be used if only the virtual console or the recovery console can get reached. When I have some spare time I will see, if there is a description on the page of Tony George (TS developer).

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

I have looked into the TS question, which I described above and found the following:

It seems, that TS only supports usage by the GUI, no command-line usage and so no usage in a console. But TS can be used from a different system on the same computer to restore to a restore point. This other system can also be a live system. Following that I strongly recommend to keep a live system of Mint 18.3 at hand; this has the advantage, that TS is already preinstalled. I did a test with the live system and restored to an older point and the installed system went back to the older state as expected. - One caveat: If there have been other user accounts been created after the used restore point, those accounts will be gone. The data themselves for those accounts get preserved, so that the accounts have to get recreated and after that they are again usable. Following that it is a good idea to create a manual restore point after having created new accounts, possibly also after having changed the passwords for the accounts.

Return to “Newbie Questions”