[SOLVED] Grub2 countdown timer disable...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nik33

[SOLVED] Grub2 countdown timer disable...

Post by nik33 »

Hello everyone,

Can someone help me to disable the timer countdown in grub2 with a safe way?
I'm using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and i like it a lot! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Grub2 countdown timer disable...

Post by jimallyn »

You have to edit the /etc/default/grub config file as root. Open your file manager and navigate to /etc/default. Click anywhere within that folder, but not on any particular file. Right click on Open as Root. This will open that folder in a new file manager window with root privileges. Then double click the grub file. It will open in a root text editor. Edit as needed. I would probably set GRUB_TIMEOUT="3" so that it won't spend a long time waiting for you to select, but you can still get into the grub manager if you need to. There are other parameters in there, but I think GRUB_TIMEOUT is the only one you need to mess with. When you are done editing the file, save it and close it, then open a terminal and enter sudo update-grub. Oh, before you edit the file, you might want to save a backup copy of it. That way if you screw up, you can always go back to where you were. I usually just name a copy as grub.OLD or something along that line.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
nik33

Re: Grub2 countdown timer disable...

Post by nik33 »

thank you, it worked! i just edited the GRUB_TIMEOUT=-1 and now the timer is gone, perfect!

Return to “Beginner Questions”