lots of issues developing...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

lots of issues developing...

Post by bad medicine » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:40 am

I'm having a lot of issues lately. #1 on the list is that files I download are not where I downloaded or saved them to, often the desktop. I dont see them on the desktop and I don't find them when I go into the desktop folder. I don't even find entire folders that are plainly visible on the desktop in the desktop folder. :?: :?:

Other issues I'm having: Document viewer sometimes won't open pdfs when I try to open one from a web page. I get the "choose program to open this file" dialog, even though document viewer has always opened them before. Thats problem is weird because it only happens sometimes.

Also when I go to upload a file with my browser (firefox or Pale Moon) it navigates to the folder where I know the file is, but doesn't see it. Again, this is a new issue and it always worked fine before.

lastly and not leastly, I'm having times when my system freezes temporarily-I can't close programs, can't open terminal to kill programs, can't open system monitor to see wth is going on...

system info in sig file...I've been running 17.3 Cinnamon for 18 months, with all updates
Thinkpad T410 i5 2.4 Ghz 4GB
Dual boot Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64-bit, Windows 7
kernel 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: lots of issues developing...

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:00 pm

. Also when I go to upload a file with my browser (firefox or Pale Moon) it navigates to the folder where I know the file is, but doesn't see it. Again, this is a new issue and it always worked fine before.
I also have same problem
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:10 pm

deepakdeshp wrote:
. Also when I go to upload a file with my browser (firefox or Pale Moon) it navigates to the folder where I know the file is, but doesn't see it. Again, this is a new issue and it always worked fine before.
I also have same problem
Perhaps there is something unique about the file name ext or file properties (permissions/ownership)? Does it work with other files (different and/or same ext)? The size of the file?
Just something to consider. HTH
Tina 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.4 Kernel 4.15.0-62 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Are you guys using FireJail on your browser?

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:42 pm

I recently started using Firejail (2 weeks?) in part because of all these problems.

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:51 pm

You do know that FireJail will restrict a lot of access to your folders right? I can work pretty much in my download folder only when running FireJail.

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:12 pm

Pepi wrote:You do know that FireJail will restrict a lot of access to your folders right? I can work pretty much in my download folder only when running FireJail.
I have read something about that but now I know it. I had to start a non-jailed browswer in order to see those desktop files I wanted to upload. That worked so Firejail appears to be the cause of that one issue. But previously, when I tried to save documents to that same folder, I could not find them again no matter how I navigated to that folder. But if I went to save the file again a dialog would tell me the file already existed in that very location! But I still can't find it anywhere, anyway, anyhow...

Pepi
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Pepi » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:17 pm

bad medicine wrote:
Pepi wrote:You do know that FireJail will restrict a lot of access to your folders right? I can work pretty much in my download folder only when running FireJail.
I have read something about that but now I know it. I had to start a non-jailed browswer in order to see those desktop files I wanted to upload. That worked so Firejail appears to be the cause of that one issue. But previously, when I tried to save documents to that same folder, I could not find them again no matter how I navigated to that folder. But if I went to save the file again a dialog would tell me the file already existed in that very location! But I still can't find it anywhere, anyway, anyhow...
You know I had a problem with 17.3 KDE doing this. I always figured it was a KDE bug? I got tired of it and went to LMDE2 and then I had no problems with this happening. Now, I'm using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and it is running flawless for me. Not sure your hardware but it might be worth the trouble to upgrade. Really loving 18.3 8) Good luck

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:33 pm

I found that Pale Moon was sometimes grabbing nearly 100% CPU when it was open but not actively being used.

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:30 pm

Well I'm considering the upgrade, but the instructions always say "if it aint broke don't fix it" and "upgrade for a reason". I don't even know what's broke, or if upgrading will fix it, so I don't know if I have a reason. :?:

bad medicine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bad medicine » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:59 pm

more weirdness happening. I opened a pdf link with Document Viewer and saved a copy of the pdf to my desktop. But when I close all windows and look at the desktop its not there. But when I go to >Open file in Document Viewer and navigate to the Desktop, there it is, and the file opens just fine. But when I navigate to Desktop in terminal or the GUI, its not there.

Splain that one.

Return to “Newbie Questions”