hi hi!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Re: hi hi!

Post by Acid_1 »

The two recycling ones are Windows way of handling trash. If you boot Windows and find .trash-xxx that would be Linux/Unixs way of doing it. I don't know what found.000 is. What are your interests and then we can lead you places to go. :)
det4100
Level 4
Level 4

Post by det4100 »

I believe the "found.000" file is a result of a chkdisk. Usually run after a faulty shut down of windows and an attempt to find lost file fragments. It saves them as files. For what reason I don't know because I have never been able to figure out how to repair those files.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Post by gibbs1984 »

On my Linux Mint 6 Gnome if I hover the mouse over the Menu in the bottom left hand corner a tooltip appears telling me exactly what version I am running.

I believe also that if you navigae to the System Monitor then on the first tab it'll tell you what version you're running, assuming also that this is Gnome as I've never used any of the overs.
Linux Mint 19.0 (Cinnamon) 64bit.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

milena wrote: #1, what are these folders on my external hard drive? on windows I just saw my personal folders, but now I also see "found.000", "$RECYCLE.BIN", "RECYCLER", and "System Volume Information". Also, I deleted everything in the 'recycle bin' - that's no big deal, right? I'm guessing it's stuff that I thought I had deleted permanently anyway.
This are Windows folders, are quite safe to delete if you are mounting it in Linux. Linux also make a similar folder, .trash-1000 (a dot before the file name indicates a hidden file in Linux), however, most distributions ask you if you want to empty this when unmounting the volume (if it is empty, the don't ask).
milena wrote:#2, I'm doing duel-boot with windows xp and linux mint (no idea which version - if you tell me how to check I'll tell you what it is!). How come the Linux side is a bit slower?
This is hard to answer without knowing more, but my general experience is that both Windows and Linux performs better with the entire drive to them self, especially Windows.
milena wrote:#3, as a super new user, does anyone have any suggestions for how to play around with linux? What should I be learning to make the most of using linux?
Forums and testing, best way is to learn by doing. If you really want to learn, you can try an installation of Arch Linux or Gentoo, though it will probably be allot of frustration involved, so stick with forums for now ;)
milena wrote:#4, why doesn't my sound work?
Please provide an output of

Code: Select all

lspci
from a terminal. Also check if your mixers aren't set to mute.
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
mitsuzero
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mitsuzero »

milena wrote:Since I just got linux yesterday, I have a few questions...

#1, what are these folders on my external hard drive? on windows I just saw my personal folders, but now I also see "found.000", "$RECYCLE.BIN", "RECYCLER", and "System Volume Information". Also, I deleted everything in the 'recycle bin' - that's no big deal, right? I'm guessing it's stuff that I thought I had deleted permanently anyway.

Recycler and Recycle.bin are a virus(worms) at windows machine. he stated hide from seeing. and run every time u plug-in the xternal drive!
u can delete these without problem!

#2, I'm doing duel-boot with windows xp and linux mint (no idea which version - if you tell me how to check I'll tell you what it is!). How come the Linux side is a bit slower?

you can check it with system monitor, on "mint button" select it!
#3, as a super new user, does anyone have any suggestions for how to play around with linux? What should I be learning to make the most of using linux?
hmmmm you can put your question here, maybe u can download a book or Ebook to learn about linux
Hope I'm not asking too much. thanks in advance for reading/answering XD

--edit--

#4, why doesn't my sound work?
hmmm u check if u have a icon(a small speaker) in the left side on the bar ("system Tray")
Fortunes diaries Pick >>> "You have an ability to sense and know
higher truth."
||| monkey based system |||
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

lspci
It should look like this:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9600M GT (rev a1)
0e:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
14:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02)
1a:00.0 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. SD/MMC Host Controller
1a:00.2 SD Host controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. Standard SD Host Controller
1a:00.3 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. MS Host Controller
1a:00.4 System peripheral: JMicron Technologies, Inc. xD Host Controller
Or something similar.
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dlkreations »

milena wrote: I typed in "1spc1" and hit enter,
That's actually a lowercase L, not 1.

Just wondering why you'd be typing in the terminal CODE: SELECT ALL? The terminal is as far as I know case sensitive, especially when changing directories. But to be honest, I am not sure what that command is.

When you say your sound isn't working, is there anything at all? System sounds when logging on, music with a media player? Have you tried right clicking your speaker icon in the taskbar and left click Open Volume Control? Then check to see if the sliders are at an adequate setting.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
mitsuzero
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mitsuzero »

milena your audio is work properly he has recognized by linux mint (or i might said -linux-)
milena wrote:
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)
u need to click in the speaker , then volume control and need to check values in master and pcm! sometimes the pcm scroll is put to mute and dont get sound ....
Fortunes diaries Pick >>> "You have an ability to sense and know
higher truth."
||| monkey based system |||

Return to “Newbie Questions”