Any reason to prefer UEFI versus Compatibility BIOS install?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
pcwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Any reason to prefer UEFI versus Compatibility BIOS install?

Post by pcwolf »

Built a new home rig with latest ASRock MB, Ryzen CPU, and NVMe M.2 boot SSD.

Somehow I managed to install both Win 10 and Linux Mint 18.2 KDE in legacy Compatibility BIOS mode and Grub allows me to dual-boot without issue.

I have enough persistent shutdown from Linux problems (lockups, losing wifi connection, freeze on reboot with Mint logo, etc) that make me wonder if there is a hardware conflict in the UEFI motherboard seeing both operating systems in CPM BIOS mode.

Is there any expanded hardware or operating options worth looking at re-installing both into UEFI mode?
Or is compatibility BIOS mode a preferred option?

I am most interested in days-months-years runtime without reboot. I am running BOINC 24x7x365

Thanks in advance
Phil
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Any reason to prefer UEFI versus Compatibility BIOS install?

Post by michael louwe »

@ pcwolf, .......
pcwolf wrote:...
Your LM 18.2(with Linux kernel 4.8 ) problems is likely because AMD Ryzen processors are not yet fully supported by Linux. Try to upgrade to Linux kernel 4.13 or install LM 18.3(with kernel 4.10) and see how it goes. Otherwise, wait for LM 19 in May 2018.

Legacy BIOS mode install is much easier to do than UEFI mode install, especially for multi-drives systems. Choose Legacy BIOS/CSM if your hard-disks/drives do not need more than 4 Primary paritions and to be larger than 2TB in size.
Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser »

pcwolf wrote:
I am most interested in days-months-years runtime without reboot. I am running BOINC 24x7x365

Thanks in advance
Phil
Hi Phil

I too run BOINC 24X7X365. I also reboot at least once per week for backing up and sometimes daily. I had problems with BOINC loading automatically so got used to starting it by hand each time I re-booted.
pcwolf
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pcwolf »

Thank you for the replies. I will maintain the legacy Compatibility BIOS installation since it is working well and no good reason to switch. Lucky beginner.

I believe I have the freeze solved. Editing the default power-saving option on the M.2 Intel wifi card to "no power management" seems to have solved the disconnect when waking from sleep. Linux doing what it was told to do, after all.

Merry Christmas
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

When you say sleep do you mean hibernate or suspend? Hibernating is not recommended with as SSD as it uses too many write cycles.
Homebrew Intel i7 8700k 32gb RAM
LinuxMint 19.3 Mate
Win 10 for games
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mr_raider »

There is no techinical or stability reason for UEFI or Legacy booting. The only thing to remember is disks over 2tb require a GPT table, not MBR. But Linux can boot GPT disks in legacy mode.

Is there a reason to prefer EFI? I prefer it because I can see my bootloader and where it's installed: in the EFI partition instead of skulking around unseen in the first few sectors of my disk.

I have Ryzen system and fold 24/7. No issues.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.

Return to “Newbie Questions”