Libre Office 5 Base

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
david4
Level 1
Level 1

Libre Office 5 Base

Post by david4 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:40 am

Moved four tables from an Access database on a windows platform into BASE by exporting them as excel files. Now I can read the tables individually in the Base database that I created to house these four tables,but as soon as I attempt to create a query the programme immediately jumps out and back to the normal Linux screen. So what is happening? How can I construct queries, forms and reports?

DaveLew

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Libre Office 5 Base

Post by pdc_2 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:22 am

Hi Dave; welcome to the forums

https://documentation.libreoffice.org/a ... hBase.html

is there enough detail here for you to get started?

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:01 pm

In my limited experience with LibreOffice I've found it helps to have the latest stable version of LO if you need as much compatibility with MS Office as you can. The repos for Linux Mint generally lag behind.

To download a current stable version of LO go to:
https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/
LibreOffice 5.3.7 is described as a conservative stable version, not bleeding edge. "If you deploy LibreOffice in an enterprise or corporate environment or are a conservative user, please choose this version." Download the deb file for easy installation.

These LM Forums are a wonderful resource, but you may get better help for LO specific questions at:
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/community-support/

pdc_2
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pdc_2 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:16 pm

that is very good advice; I installed the 5.4.3 .2 version!! a few weeks ago and it has been fine;

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:23 pm

david4 wrote:the programme immediately jumps out and back to the normal Linux screen.
Wht does that mean? It sounds, as if LO is crashing.

Do you have a Java runtime installed in the system and is this registered in LO?

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Cosmo's comment about Java reminded me of Pjotr's suggestions to disable Java on LO:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ibreoffice

Further, Pjotr counsels you to NOT download the deb file of LO (like I suggested earlier :oops: ) but to get it from a PPA. (See the same link as above.)

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:44 am

Several parts of LO need Java, Base is one of them. This is the trouble with general advices, which can lead to problems for some users.

david4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by david4 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:16 am

Thanks for all the advice - but I’m a bit confused here! Having just installed LinuxMint 18.3 only a few day ago when it was released, I thought that the packages would be “up to date”? Do I now need to download and install the latest version of LO ?
DaveLew

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:34 am

Possibly it is not installed. Open in LO the preferences -> LibreOffice -> Advanced (Retranslated by me, so the exact wording may differ); there you see, if a Java version gets recognized and if it is activated for your LO.

Besides that: Alone out of good politeness you should answer questions, if you expect answers. I am still unsure, if your LO crashes or what you mean with the description in the starting post.

david4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by david4 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Look I'm not going to get into "politeness" We're not eating cucumber sandwiches here. I am not a Linux man but I do see that it is a superb system and will solve a lot of frustrating problems that exist with Windows 10.
I simply posted that I'd imported four access db tables into the LO5 that came down with Mint 18.3 and each time I tried to bring them up the Base jumped out and returned me to the Mint screen. So, based on comments, I downloaded the latest LO which is 5.4.4.2 and installed that (after purging, following advice in the download, the entire previous LO 5). I now have LO 5.4.4.2 on board. All packages seem to work fine - except that I still cannot use the four tables that I brought in from a Windows Office 365 Access database. Each time I click on "Tables" the programme jumps out and I am back on the Mint screen. Base is supposed to run Access files right? What I have done as well is to export the Access tables from my Windows PC as an Excel file and brought them into LO Calc - and that works fine as a Calc sheet. But I cannot get LO Base to acknowledge any Access database table. If you cant bring the table in you cant construct queries and reports. Thats my problem. If I seem to be answering my own questions - its just to save a load of time.
What I have done is to highlight what seems to be a problem - and I'm not progressing this to a solution yet.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:02 pm

david4 wrote:Look I'm not going to get into "politeness" We're not eating cucumber sandwiches here...
You don't need to be "eating cucumber sandwiches" to be a real man and a gentleman. You're here for help. Members ask you questions so that they can help you, but they can't if you don't answer their questions.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:13 pm

Withe the last reply (by the OP): Find your own way through this document. Bon appetite!

hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:50 am

david4 wrote:Base is supposed to run Access files right?
Certainly not in my experience. I've done dozens upon dozens of Access databases and have never just "opened" one in Base as you would a Word doc in Writer or an Excel spreadsheet in Calc. You can bring in the data, and then reconstruct the database in Base around that data. I pretty much gave up on Base a long time ago, but I have a few ideas.

Can you create a new DB is base with new tables and then construct queries, forms, etc without it crashing? If not, then the problem is not with your data but to LO. If you can, then it's something that LO doesn't like something in your data. If it were me, I wouldn't export the data as an Excel spreadsheet but as a comma-delimited file. That will strip out formatting, anything hidden, comments, etc and should leave pure data. Import it, manipulate it in Base, and away you go (I think.)
Running LM 19 Cinnamon

BenTrabetere
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BenTrabetere » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:31 am

hpmc13 wrote:
david4 wrote:Base is supposed to run Access files right?
Certainly not in my experience.
I have similar experience. The only luck I have had with using an Access database in Base is to construct the tables from a .csv file. Forms, reports and queries have to be rebuilt in Base.

I have had somewhat good luck with Kexi importing Access 2003 .mdb files. I do not know how well Kexi works with later versions of Access. The only issue I have had is a lot of formatting gets stripped out from the table - I think Kexi uses SQLite3 data types - but it does not affect the data. Forms, reports and queries have to be rebuilt.

david4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by david4 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:11 pm

Thanks hpmc13 and Ben Trabetere. Interesting both. I think there is maybe a problem with the base itself, or it could be how it has installed on this laptop. I just dont seem to be able to do anything with it. I will try to construct a normal base 5.4 database and see how that progresses. Importing as a csv file sounds good. I'm not bothered about formatting at this stage, just getting the data transferred from the Access database to the base 5.4 as I want to run linux as my main OS. Will persevere with this and post if I am successful. Many thanks for your input.

david4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by david4 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:50 am

I spoke to one of the Libre Office admins on live chat yesterday re the 32 bit version of LO 5.4.4.2 and the problem with not being able to run Base, although all other packages of LO run perfectly well. They said that a bug in the Java software that is contained in Linux Mint 18.3 is the problem - it is NOT a problem with LO5 Base. I noted that I also have the 64 bit version of Linux Mint 18.3 on a dual boot platform with windows 10 and the LO5 runs perfectly well in all packages including Base.
So it looks like it only affects the 32 bit version of Mint 18.3. I have tried all the Java downloads including the OpenJDK-8-jre and nothing seems to spark the LO Base.
Does anyone know yet if Linux Mint 18.3 32 bit version has been modified with the Java bug sorted out?

david4
Level 1
Level 1

Post by david4 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:22 am

Thanks to all who have put in suggestions and help since I brought this up in late December.
As at this morning, this bug is still preventing the LO5 Base package in the 32 bit version of Mint 18.3 from creating a database file.
I have contacted: Libre Office, Java and posted on here several times. Libre Office sent me an email that has their "not our bug" response (they actually have a word that is NOTOURBUG !!) And that slopes their shoulders sharply doesn't it!
Java just do not respond to enquiries - even after several attempts.

This forum produced several good ideas - that I have attempted, but still no joy. What is frustrating is that the 64 bit version, which I also have, is perfect. Libre Office Base runs first time out of the box and is excellent. Trouble is, that machine is a giant and screwed to the floor. The 32 bit machine is the portable workhorse.

So, having identified that there IS a bug, and checking that all the right java material is installed; that workarounds with java don't workaround,
what do we do now with the 18.3 32 bit Sylvia upgrade that was issued, if LO is a major component of your work.
Bin it ?
I'm running the 5.4.4.2 version of Libre Office. They have just issued LO6 for evaluation - not - installation, but it doesn't even include Base !!!!
By the way, I've emailed OSDisc.com who market both 32 bit and 64 bit DVDs of the 18.3 release and let them know that their 32 bit disc includes the bug on LO5 Base.
I really would appreciate any input - everything has gone very quiet from Linux Mint and Java......

Return to “Newbie Questions”