i want to install AutoCAD

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ENGMUHA
Level 1
Level 1

i want to install AutoCAD

Post by ENGMUHA » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:27 pm

i am an electrical engineer and AutoCAD is a must for me , i tried BricsCAD and it is awesome prog. but it ask me for activation and i have the crack but i can not handle it so i have two problem 1- i cant install AutoCAD 2- i cant activate BricsCAD

can any one help please

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Re: i want to install AutoCAD

Post by Moem » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:51 pm

We can't help you with anything illegal here, so talking about cracks is right out. You might want to consider paying for the software you want to use... just a thought.
Here's an article that you may find helpful: https://opensource.com/alternatives/autocad

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Bolle1961
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bolle1961 » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:12 pm

If you need AutoCAD for your work you can ask your employer if he is willing to pay for the BrisCad license, good chance it's even cheaper then Autocad

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:12 am

I don't think any new solutions have become available since you last asked that question a month ago:

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=258003

I think you're just going to have to buy AutoCAD or do without.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:27 am

AutoCAD is Windows and macOS only. Not available for Linux.
You can run it in a virtual machine with Windows but performance would probably suck. Virtual Machines don't allocate enough video RAM to run CAD applications like AutoCAD smoothly.

dark
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dark » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:57 am

Install Gnome Boxes or VirtualBox on Linux Mint, Create VM and install Windows in it, then install AutoCAD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e0uS0vxQyk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRKk64mhK7U

HowardB
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HowardB » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:10 am

I use the Dassault Systems Draftsight CAD package. The LInux version is available for free from their web site & they issue updates every 6/12 months. As for AutoCAD compatibility, its good & the company involved are one of the major top end CAD system producers, so its got some serious support.

I have been using it in a design environment for about 5 years and once or twice there were issues with updates giving problems, but in general its a first rate package and highly recommended. You have to register it and when a new release is issued the old one is disabled which is not an issue.

It would be great it if was available trough the non-free software section of Linux Mint as that would increase its visibility.

Return to “Newbie Questions”