Streaming to a PS4

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
anthony2020
Level 1
Level 1

Streaming to a PS4

Post by anthony2020 »

ok...
All I want to do is stream media from my Mint laptop to my PS4 heres a list of difficulties Im having..

1. Im not paying a fiver a month for plex when (supposedly) there are free options available.

2. Mediatomb is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. I can get the GUI but nothing I do will get it to populate. If there is an ABC way of doing this that would help. The internet has either failed to provide a solution or it presents me with mediatomb's own wiki which is about as long as war and peace. I just want to stream my music and my movies.

3. Samba refuses to allow me to set a password.

4. VLC asks for URL's What the hell is that and where do I find it on m ps4? So Ive given up on that too.

5. Im out of pracetamol and alcohol to help me deal with this b*llsh*t

So please - is there an easy, free way of doing something I managed in windows in under 5 minutes? I want to use linux.

Thanks for now.

Ant
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Streaming to a PS4

Post by greerd »

I used to use UMS http://www.universalmediaserver.com/ to serve to my PS3, I would expect it to work for the PS4 too.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

Plex is free and it works fine via my ps4 for both LM and Win 10...you just need to configure router for UPnP/Nat which plex clearly states in their troubleshooting guide
good luck

d
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "anthony2020",

This is super easy if all you want to do is stream multimedia content from your computer to any UPnP/DLNA compatible device like a PS4, Smart TV's, TV sticks, Smart Blu-Ray DVD players, game consoles, smart phones, other computers, etc...

You can use the superb PS3 Media Server or its more updated fork "UMS" Ultimate Media Server. Both are excellent, easy to install and use very little computer resources. In fact, my movies and videos actually play better using this than if I copied the movie files to a USB stick and plugged that directly into my Smart Blu-Ray DVD player. These are Java based applications, so you must have a Java runtime installed which it usually is in any edition of Linux Mint.

UMS download page, click the link below and then the link for Download Universal Media Server Linux 6.7.4 which is a self-contained archive file, right click that and extract here which creates a folder, move that to your home folder, then just double-click the "UMS.sh" script file within that folder to run the program. You can easily create a desktop shortcut or menu item to this file as well.

Be sure to add a firewall rule to allow incoming and outgoing on "port 5001" (which you can change if you want in the General Tab). If you use a VPN connection then specify your computer's Local IP address in "Force IP address of the server" in the General Tab. I recommend that you do not start minimized.

You can add the multi-media folders for your videos (movies), music, pictures, etc.. in the Navigation/Share tab at the bottom click the folder. Tip: This does not like folders with the same names, so for example, if you have multiple "Videos" folders (regardless whether they are under different parent folders or different drives), rename them to Videos1, Videos-Home, Videos-USB-WD1, etc... Click restart Server at the top after making changes.

UMS Download link
http://www.fosshub.com/Universal-Media- ... -6.7.4.tgz

Tip2: You can even use external USB drives that are attached and mounted regardless if they are formatted with Linux (ext4, etc...) or MS Windows (NTFS, Fat32, extFAT, etc...), when adding folder to UMS or PS3, click the "up arrow" folder button in the upper right to go to your root folder "/", then the "media" folder, your logged in username folder, and click whatever mounted drive or partition name has the folders you want to add.

Previous posts
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=221979&hilit=ps3+media+server

Hope this helps ...
Firewall Add Rule for Media Server
Firewall Add Rule for Media Server
UMS - General Tab
UMS - General Tab
UMS - Navigation/Share Tab
UMS - Navigation/Share Tab
Adding folders from an External USB drive or another drive partition.
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:23 am, edited 5 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
mvaughn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mvaughn »

Excellent advice and nicely done. I'm ditching Plex in favour of this. Thanks!
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "mvaughn",

You are welcome and thanks ...

I have been using PS3 Media Server and then UMS for years. I use UMS now because it is newer with more features. They simply work extremely well and use very little computer resources, so you can run it while doing other computer stuff, whereas with Plex or Kodi, your computer is pretty much devoted to that and only that (unless you have a really nice powerful computer with a lot of memory).

Don't misunderstand me, I really like Plex and Kodi which are fully featured media servers with a lot of options and are great for computers devoted to being a media server. Unfortunately, I can't even run them on my ancient underpowered computer, but UMS and PS3 Media Server work great even on my computer and are perfect for just streaming multimedia content from a computer to other devices.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
anthony2020
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Streaming to a PS4 [SOLVED]

Post by anthony2020 »

UMS Works!

Thank you all so very much!

Anthony.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Streaming to a PS4 [SOLVED]

Post by phd21 »

Hi "anthony2020",

You are welcome from all of us that replied ...
anthony2020
Level 1
Level 1

Post by anthony2020 »

So this turned out to be quite the learning curve.

Firstly, I thank every one of you that answered. Each answer had at least some gem of knowledge. I did say Id decided to use Universal media server - and I did and still do.

However in fairness to the developers of Rygel, this turns out to be an even simpler option. Its right there in the repos and it just works. It is pre configured to share your videos, music and photos. The PS4 just saw it and it was simple to navigate from then on. The tv sees it too. Likewise UMS. UMS is massively more configurable whereas Rygel has the simpler interface. So if anyone ever has the same problem, I'd say try both and see which works best for you.

Now for the glitch that no one can solve but Sony... their media player populates music tracks alphabetically rather than by track number, For an old crusty like me. I like my music in the order the artist compiled them.

So once again, thank you to everyone who took the time to answer. I think it turned out to be such a good thread, it should be indexed.

Cheers all.

Anthony
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "anthony2020",

Thanks for the updated information. It is helpful to offer more information.

I do not like to have many "services" (daemons) running all the time, and I think "Rygel" and its related packages install a service daemon which runs all the time, which is fine if you are always running a streaming media server. I do not always have my computer running UMS or PS2 media server, so I like it when I close a media server that it shuts down with nothing still running in the background. FYI: if your security conscience, you can always temporarily disable (deny) incoming on the Firewall port(s) you opened for the streaming media server until you need or want to use it again, then just change (enable Allow) that Firewall rule again.

Cheers ...

Return to “Newbie Questions”