Recommended Digital Tablet for 18.3 Cinnamon

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Recommended Digital Tablet for 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by Pepi »

I've been looking and reading a bit around digital tablets and Linux has came a long ways with support. I've read where Cinnamon is the preferred desktop. I was looking at the Wacom but wondered if anyone else has been down this road with good luck on a certain model of Wacom?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Recommended Digital Tablet for 18.3 Cinnamon

Post by jimallyn »

Just be sure it has an x86 processor. A lot of tablets have ARM processors, and Mint doesn't support ARM.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Jimallyn, this is about a drawing tablet, a graphic tablet if you will. Not about a tablet as in a laptop without a keyboard.
Pepi, I think Artgirl know a thing or two about Wacoms.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Yes, a digital tablet to draw with in GIMP or other graphic programs. I've read and read on the internet and there is so much information you start going around in circles. Just would like to know of someone that has had luck with a cheaper tablet. I think Artgirl is using a 500.00 dollar tablet and I really don't want to spend that much on one unless I really start getting into using one. I bet art work is her bread and butter :wink:
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I bought a Wacom digital tablet and I found it a real pain to use (in Windows and Linux) . I feel like I have better control with a mouse than the tablet. I sent it back :oops: Maybe I didn't give it a chance but I could see it just laying around collecting dust
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've found my best bet if I want a decent Linux tablet is to hit up stores for previous years models they're trying to unload dirt cheap or if you don't mind used hardware, hock shops. The reason I suggest this is most brand new tablets in the few hundred dollar range are hot garbage and there's not many I come across that would feature the software compatibility you're after. With that in mind, look for older models of tablets that have intel processors (and by extension integrated graphics) like the HP Spectre X2, you can find some floating around these days for a few hundred, I've had no trouble installing Linux on them via either a USB 3.1 drive or a USB 3 drive with an adaptor (one is supplied with new units, they don't have the older more common USB ports unfortunately). Powerful enough to run everything but meaty modern games in my experience, I got a few last gen games running in Ultra high settings like Fallout New Vegas via WINE.

EDIT: Just make sure they come with a stylus for drawing. A new spectre will, a secondhand one you want to make sure they're including it.
wilbobob
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wilbobob »

I have a Trust TB-6300 that works well as a pointing and selection device (Right click with a button on the pen). Pressure sensitivity works too. All out of the box, but the numerous hot pads around the outside have never worked, but I've not tried hard to fix them.
The main attraction was that it was cheap and I feel I've got my money's worth
Go Steady, but keep going
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Pepi wrote:Yes, a digital tablet to draw with in GIMP or other graphic programs. I've read and read on the internet and there is so much information you start going around in circles. Just would like to know of someone that has had luck with a cheaper tablet. I think Artgirl is using a 500.00 dollar tablet and I really don't want to spend that much on one unless I really start getting into using one. I bet art work is her bread and butter :wink:
Lol :wink: I'd try with the Huion 1060 pro first ... that's what I did before finding the Ugee. About £67, and I tested it quite recently in Krita, to let another poster know if it definitely worked with Mint (Cinnamon, at the time of testing, and in Mate since). Worked perfectly, same as the Ugee 2150. You have to work more steadily with a non-display graphics tablet, but good idea to try that first. :)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

NB there's a Plus version out, which I have no experience of. I'm referencing the 1060 Pro, that came out before the Plus.
The Plus ... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huion-1060PLUS ... n+1060PLUS
... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDysqS8I8XI ... a youtube vid comparing the 1060 pro and 1060 plus, with amazon links for various countries.

I've tested the Huion 1060 Pro in Gimp ... works perfectly ... 3 Huion devices will show in the list ... I just chose Mode as Screen for each one, save, close. Pressure would probably need some personal tweaking, but the various brushes I tried were fine for this silly doodle.

Last edited by ArtGirl on Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:03 am, edited 20 times in total.
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Nate wrote:The reason I suggest this is most brand new tablets in the few hundred dollar range are hot garbage and there's not many I come across that would feature the software compatibility you're after.
Not at all. Ugee is very well made, zero issues since buying it, plug and play in Mint Cinnamon, excellent accuracy. A nice company, and the Ugee is very uncomplicated and pleasant to paint with. Many people use Ugee, Yiynova and Huion, and I think that's great ... they save a fortune, and, on Mint Cinnamon, no having to deal with drivers.
Last edited by ArtGirl on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Nate wrote:I've found my best bet if I want a decent Linux tablet is to hit up stores for previous years models they're trying to unload dirt cheap or if you don't mind used hardware, hock shops. The reason I suggest this is most brand new tablets in the few hundred dollar range are hot garbage and there's not many I come across that would feature the software compatibility you're after. With that in mind, look for older models of tablets that have intel processors (and by extension integrated graphics) like the HP Spectre X2, you can find some floating around these days for a few hundred, I've had no trouble installing Linux on them via either a USB 3.1 drive or a USB 3 drive with an adaptor (one is supplied with new units, they don't have the older more common USB ports unfortunately). Powerful enough to run everything but meaty modern games in my experience, I got a few last gen games running in Ultra high settings like Fallout New Vegas via WINE.
You don't seem to be talking about a graphic tablet. It's just an input device, it doesn't have a processor. You can't install Linux on it any more than you can install Linux on a mouse or keyboard.

I really wish the people who invented touchscreen laptops without keyboards gave them a different name... it's confusing. The word 'tablet' was already taken.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Moem wrote: You don't seem to be talking about a graphic tablet. It's just an input device, it doesn't have a processor. You can't install Linux on it any more than you can install Linux on a mouse or keyboard.

I really wish the people who invented touchscreen laptops without keyboards gave them a different name... it's confusing. The word 'tablet' was already taken.
I agree! I use 'graphics display tablet/monitor' for such as the Ugee 2150, and 'graphics tablet' for the Huion 1060 Pro.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Moem wrote:You don't seem to be talking about a graphic tablet. It's just an input device, it doesn't have a processor. You can't install Linux on it any more than you can install Linux on a mouse or keyboard.

My apologies. I've never encountered a dedicated one, just standard tablets with pens for input for use on graphics/drawing apps. I was impressed by how accurately they captured what I tried to draw regardless though, so maybe they'd still be good to consider for if you wanted something portable for drawing that would allow you to send anything you drew on the go to your other devices. I don't know how their accuracy stacks up though, so you might want to find a store with display models and ask about seeing how well they work for it compared to those dedicated ones.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

Maybe I should try a difference model. This is the one I bought and it was ... well, COLD Garbage LOL
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

:lol: There may be some Wacom Mr Miyagi's lurking that could resurrect it somehow, unless someone sold you a dud, in which case go get 'em ... but the Huion passes the 'not too expensive but works great' test.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

ArtGirl wrote::lol: There may be some Wacom Mr Miyagi's lurking that could resurrect it somehow, unless someone sold you a dud, in which case go get 'em ... but the Huion passes the 'not too expensive but works great' test.

I may order a Huion and try it out. I can always send it back :lol:
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Pepi wrote:
ArtGirl wrote::lol: There may be some Wacom Mr Miyagi's lurking that could resurrect it somehow, unless someone sold you a dud, in which case go get 'em ... but the Huion passes the 'not too expensive but works great' test.

I may order a Huion and try it out. I can always send it back :lol:
Sounds like a good plan ... I did that with the Wacom. :lol:
Jointerpic

Post by Jointerpic »

ArtGirl, noticed you said the Huion H610 pro works perfectly in Mint 18.3 Mate version. Unfortunately that does not appear to be true in 18.3 Cinnamon. To get that to be even recognized at the low level (lsusb --list) I had to inatall the latest DIGImend drivers (V7 deb package from https://github.com/DIGImend/digimend-ke ... s/releases). Then to get the 'Graphics Tablet' app to see and control the tablet I had to follow the instruction in https://askubuntu.com/questions/500141/ ... 610-tablet ( 'Basically create /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-huion.conf:' ). It was only then that the tablet app could see the huion and I could set up the buttons and touch pressure etc. Weird!
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Jointerpic wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:41 am ArtGirl, noticed you said the Huion H610 pro works perfectly in Mint 18.3 Mate version. Unfortunately that does not appear to be true in 18.3 Cinnamon. To get that to be even recognized at the low level (lsusb --list) I had to inatall the latest DIGImend drivers (V7 deb package from https://github.com/DIGImend/digimend-ke ... s/releases). Then to get the 'Graphics Tablet' app to see and control the tablet I had to follow the instruction in https://askubuntu.com/questions/500141/ ... 610-tablet ( 'Basically create /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-huion.conf:' ). It was only then that the tablet app could see the huion and I could set up the buttons and touch pressure etc. Weird!
Hi Jointerpic, and I'm afraid there's been some confusion. At the time I posted I was using Cinnamon, and tested the Huion on that. I've added a note in my post to clarify. I'm very surprised to hear of the issues on Mate, as my Ugee 2150 has run just the same as on Cinnamon, and uses the same inbuilt drivers, without any need to setup anything. The only thing I can think is that we may be on different kernels or something? ... please see my tech specs in signature also, as that might explain why the difference, or the pen's about to fully lose charge (I've had a run in with that a couple of times, lol)? I'll plug in the Huion now, and see what happens ... if it works, that's definitely some weird stuff going on!

EDIT: definitely working ... just tried it in Krita. Just plug it in and it works. So I can confirm it's definitely weird that it's not working!
muchagecko
Level 1
Level 1

Post by muchagecko »

I'm new here but I've been having a lot of trouble getting my Huion H610 to work on Cinnamon 18.3.
Jointerpic - I wish I had seen your post earlier today. I've tried too many ways of loading the drivers, with no luck. Since I'd already installed the latest DIGImend drivers, I jumped to creating the 50-huion.conf, but the tablet still isn't working.
I'm really a noob to mint, but I suspect something I did earlier is messing up everything now. Any troubleshooting suggestions?
Jointerpic wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:41 am ArtGirl, noticed you said the Huion H610 pro works perfectly in Mint 18.3 Mate version. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be true in 18.3 Cinnamon. To get that to be even recognized at the low level (lsusb --list) I had to install the latest DIGImend drivers (V7 deb package from https://github.com/DIGImend/digimend-ke ... s/releases). Then to get the 'Graphics Tablet' app to see and control the tablet I had to follow the instruction in https://askubuntu.com/questions/500141/ ... 610-tablet ( 'Basically create /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-huion.conf:' ). It was only then that the tablet app could see the huion and I could set up the buttons and touch pressure etc. Weird!
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

muchagecko wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:47 am I'm new here but I've been having a lot of trouble getting my Huion H610 to work on Cinnamon 18.3.
Jointerpic - I wish I had seen your post earlier today. I've tried too many ways of loading the drivers, with no luck. Since I'd already installed the latest DIGImend drivers, I jumped to creating the 50-huion.conf, but the tablet still isn't working.
I'm really a noob to mint, but I suspect something I did earlier is messing up everything now. Any troubleshooting suggestions?
Is it the pro or plus? I made it very clear that it's the pro that works on cinnamon and mate 18.3, and tech specs are in signature. Tested on both, with no need to install anything; works out of the box, as does the Ugee 2150. It has to be something else to do with your system, as most devices I can see, from reading the forum, just work, without messing about with the system installing other things. 3rd party box ticked on installing Mint, if that has anything to do with it. If it's Gimp you're trying to use, it has to be switched to pressure in the brush settings. Krita and Mypaint work immediately. Art programs run through Wine of course have no pressure sensitivity at this point.

Return to “Beginner Questions”