[SOLVED] How can one block unwanted updates from the main repository?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] How can one block unwanted updates from the main repository?

Post by ineuw »

I use Firefox 45.9.0 ESR, and not the latest which is 57.0.3. I blocked the updates within Firefox and also in the Update Manager, but now when I needed to run update and upgrade for another app installation, it began download the FF update as well. How can I block this since it is part of the main repository?
Last edited by ineuw on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 16gb RAM

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How can one block unwanted updates from the main repository?

Post by prestonR »

I'm sure there are many ways to do that. In synaptic search for your package and highlight it in the main window >> 'Packages' >> put a tick on 'Lock package' and save.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Why the since long time outdated and very vulnerable ESR 45.x? Current is ESR 52.5.3. The ESR 52.x series will get security fixes for the next 8 months.

Regarding blocking an unwanted update: Right click the entry in the update manager and select to ignore it.

ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ineuw »

presonR, thanks for the info.
Cosmo. wrote:Why the since long time outdated and very vulnerable ESR 45.x? Current is ESR 52.5.3. The ESR 52.x series will get security fixes for the next 8 months.

Regarding blocking an unwanted update: Right click the entry in the update manager and select to ignore it.
Cosmo, we are both wrong. I mentioned the wrong version. In Linux Mint I use 52.5.3 ESR but in windows this version crashes for me and I had to revert to 45.9.0 which works fine (you can read the posts in Mozillazine and bug report I filed on Bugzilla).

Terminal update & upgrade does not look at the Update manager settings, where the update was already blocked. So was the update setting in Firefox but which seems that in Linux it is ignored.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

You should really consider switching to a browser that you can keep updated, for security reasons. Browsers are the #1 attack surface on your system.
Would Pale Moon or Waterfox work for you? Both of those are a lot like earlier versions of Firefox.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant »

For when it matters, you can lock the files from a particular package quite easily. None of the apt tools can touch it because the kernel refuses to delete, rename, move or write to file-system objects with the 'i' bit set...
debsums firefox | while read a ; do a="${a%% *}" && sudo chattr +i "$a" ; done
...locks the unpacked firefox binaries to the version you have installed. Reversing that to unlock the binaries again is easy too... clear the 'i' bit...
debsums firefox | while read a ; do a="${a%% *}" && sudo chattr -i "$a" ; done
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 »

While I don't like the idea of staying on an older version of Firefox at all, it looks like Mute Ant's solution is the most robust.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

ineuw wrote:Cosmo, we are both wrong. I mentioned the wrong version. In Linux Mint I use 52.5.3 ESR but in windows this version crashes for me and I had to revert to 45.9.0 which works fine (you can read the posts in Mozillazine and bug report I filed on Bugzilla).
I don't care about Windows, but I can tell you, that in Mint ESR 52.5.3 (and all predecessors) never crashed for me. So using a version in Mint, which has numerous serious security leaks (inclusive allowing an attacker to execute arbitrary program code), because this last version crashes in Windows (out of which reason ever) has no excuse.
ineuw wrote:Terminal update & upgrade does not look at the Update manager settings
This is correct. At least, as long as you do not use Mint's update-tool in the terminal. That you use the terminal (and most likely apt) for upgrading, has never been said by you in the starting post (so how are we supposed to know this?) and it is another fault.

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

While I don't like the idea of staying on an older version of Firefox at all, it looks like Mute Ant's solution is the most robust.
... and just kills everything else with a splash of cool linux magic.

I knew there's some of that stuff around, that's why I started my post with a qualifier... :)

jglen490
Level 6
Level 6

Post by jglen490 »

Quite robust, but solves nothing with respect to system security. If the OP doesn't trust the newest version of Firefox, there are a lot of very capable browsers available that will be secure and remain so. Linux IS about choice, make smart ones.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ineuw »

This has nothing to do with trust, nor about my lack of concern about security. I trust and use exclusively Firefox since their inception. As for security, the sites I visit and work on, have minimal risk to my internet presence. Aside from that I scan my Linux complete installation regularly with ClamAV.

The problem is that Quantum lacks the extensions I need and rely on to get my work done. Now, version 52.5.3 is crashing in Linux Mint as well and Bugzilla is working on finding the source of the problem. In addition, I am monitoring the extensions for compatibility wit Quantum.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

prestonR wrote:I'm sure there are many ways to do that. In synaptic search for your package and highlight it in the main window >> 'Packages' >> put a tick on 'Lock package' and save.
That only affects synaptic and "apt(-get)" and "mintupdate" will ignore it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ineuw »

Flemur wrote:That only affects synaptic and "apt(-get)" and "mintupdate" will ignore it.
Yes, so I have learned. The only way to stop mintupdate is not to have quantum installed at all. I've done it but it's a lot of time wasted.

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Post by prestonR »

That only affects synaptic and "apt(-get)" and "mintupdate" will ignore it.
Oh, ok, sorry about that.

I actually never held a package in Ubuntu/Mint but I did using Manjaro's octopi, which I, probably wrongly, assumed to be a very similar to synaptic.Since I do my updates there in the terminal I know that those gui settings are honoured. Must be due to octopi being a fron-end for pacman which is the program used when updating via terminal there. Learning never stops, cheers.
Last edited by prestonR on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

ineuw wrote:The only way to stop mintupdate is not to have quantum installed at all. I've done it but it's a lot of time wasted.
Another way is to not use mintupdate. I try to stick with synaptic as much as possible (the not-crippled ubuntu version where you can mark updates).

The way I keep a given version of firefox is to completely uninstall it, then "install" the wanted version from
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
apt/synaptic don't know about it because it's not a regular install; you just extract the stuff, then run it.

aes2011
Level 5
Level 5

Post by aes2011 »

Flemur wrote:
ineuw wrote:..
The way I keep a given version of firefox is to completely uninstall it, then "install" the wanted version from
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
apt/synaptic don't know about it because it's not a regular install; you just extract the stuff, then run it.
But that will auto-update, won't it?

Minterator
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Minterator »

In Update Manager you can set unwanted packages on ignore. When they come up for update, right-click, select Ignore, and they will never update again. Mine includes Firefox and Skypeforlinux.
Mint 17.3 MATE, kernel 4.11.12

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

aes2011 wrote:But that will auto-update, won't it?
I turn that off - same as with everything else.

I'm not sure how it'd determine where the program is installed because it's on a non-OS disk, along with the profiles, where two linux OSs can run exactly the same software with the same profile.

Flemur
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Flemur »

Minterator wrote:In Update Manager you can set unwanted packages on ignore. When they come up for update, right-click, select Ignore, and they will never update again. Mine includes Firefox and Skypeforlinux.
They're still marked for update in synaptic and apt, so if you run an "apt-get upgrade" you'll get 'em.

ineuw
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] How can one block unwanted updates from the main repository?

Post by ineuw »

Each of the recommendations had a shortcoming, so I left the software update as is and came up with the following solution.
  • * Deleted the symlink of the new Firefox (58) from /usr/bin.
    * Moved the two Firefox binary files "firefox" and "firefox-bin" from /usr/lib.
    * Placed the earlier version of Firefox in /opt,
    * Changed the panel & menu launcher parameters directly to /opt/firefox/firefox
    * No symlink in /user/bin.
This way I don't care what the update does. Eventually, I will use the new versions after they fixed the many (small) bugs I found in both Firefox and the extensions. Otherwise, it is a fast browser.

Return to “Newbie Questions”