[Solved] Linux for Clay Tablets

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

[Solved] Linux for Clay Tablets

Post by Pat D »

I'm an old guy, and I find that I learn better from hard copy than screens. Books, essays, clay tablets, etc.

So can anybody suggest books about Linux that are:

1. written well so that one can actually follow them - (so many are so badly written, you know?)

2. have lots-and-lots of examples

- these are the most important issues for me and, no offense, but over the last 40 years I've noticed that most tech writers aren't. That is, they obviously don't get the books proofread by a user for readability before publication.

I would really like to find one I can check out online before I buy it. But I'm a tad lazy and would really appreciate some suggestions to get started with. I figure I'm going to have lots to do when I get reading.
Last edited by Pat D on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jbyte
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux for Clay Tablets

Post by jbyte »

Since you are looking for lots of examples, have to tried using youtube and searching for tutorials?

I'm not sure about actual texts I could recomend, buy the dummies series is always good to start at.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

FWIW: I would highly recommend looking into FREE online courses. I understand that your question specifically related to books and printed material, but I think you might be short-changing yourself in this case.

- You can do the courses at your leisure, and you can go as fast or slowly as you need.
- You get to practice what you are learning and that can be a real bonus.
- The classes are set up by people who have major experience teaching Linux. You can trust that these people will start you the right way and bring you along to maximize your Linux experience.

Do a Google search for FREE ONLINE LINUX COURSE

I found the Linux Foundation to be a good place to start
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe »

@ Pat D, .......

For the books, please refer to ... viewtopic.php?t=246644
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D »

Thank you all - that was fast!

A little more splainin - I know all the info I could want is out there online, but what I need is a big-suckin-manual or 2 that I can pull off the shelf and thumb through pages and flip back-and-forth.
I do not have an easy time keeping tarck of different tabs and windows. I r old.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

If you are too old to "take" an online course... you may be WAAAAY TOO OLD to teach Linux to yourself using just books (in a single lifetime).

Here's a couple that have been recommended by many.
* The images below are links - click right on them *

Linux in a Nutshell

The Linux Command Line

“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D »

Thanks!

I just placed holds on both of those at the local library. Some others that were recommended, too. I'm hopeful that at least one will have a layout that is kind to me.
And I'm just old enough to not want to take the necessary extra time for me to keep track of window-tab location - if I have a handy set of tablets that I'm used to :D
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

I'm not sure if this is "in print" or if it can be printed, but you certainly may want to have a look through this "document"...

The ultimate guide to Linux for Windows users

Animal House
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

tovian wrote:I'm not sure if this is "in print" or if it can be printed, but you certainly may want to have a look through this "document"...

Thank you, Thank you,
for that link.......

I am an old retired Windoze IT support tech, and now using 18.3 Cinnamon, but I am still thoroughly lost.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

As another old guy, and a non-tech one, I've found that the best way to "learn" Linux is simply to use it and find out the relevant info as you come to need it. Trying to take in material from a huge, comprehensive manual (if such a thing actually exists) is going to be a struggle for anyone unless they're hell bent on becoming a Linux support tech or developer.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

iironjade wrote:As another old guy, and a non-tech one, I've found that the best way to "learn" Linux is simply to use it and find out the relevant info as you come to need it. Trying to take in material from a huge, comprehensive manual (if such a thing actually exists) is going to be a struggle for anyone unless they're hell bent on becomizng a Linux support tech or developer.
+1 for this
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

iironjade wrote:Trying to take in material from a huge, comprehensive manual (if such a thing actually exists) is going to be a struggle for anyone unless they're hell bent on becoming a Linux support tech or developer.
+1... could NOT agree more.

I would also recommend that a newbie start a plain text file on his/her desktop. Each time you learn a new COMMAND or METHOD you add a note to this file. Just add a sentence or two showing the command and explaining - in your own words - what it does and/or how to use it. This will become your personal reference to "REFRESH" your own memory when you know you've done something but can't quite remember how.

My research chain for Linux issues is...
Personal-Notes file > Mint Forums > Google

I could add a level using the Ubuntu references, but the Google search will catch all of those anyway.

Animal House
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

tovian wrote:I would also recommend that a newbie start a plain text file on his/her desktop. Each time you learn a new COMMAND or METHOD you add a note to this file.
I use TreeLine for this. TreeLine is a note-taking and information manager. What I like about it is the information can be organized in fields, so it becomes something of a database. I use the version in the repos - a newer release is available from the website, but it is mostly bug fixes I never experience.
http://treeline.bellz.org/index.html

Here is the basic set of fields I use for a command:
Command - [name of the command]
Syntax - [usage structure of the command]
Description - [verbose description of the command]
Options - [listing and description of the options the command uses]
Example(s) - [samples of the command in use]

Before I settled on TreeLine, I also used CherryTree, RedNotebook, Tomboy, and Zim to keep track of Linux commands, methods, etc. All of them work, but of these I found CherryTree (I use CherryTree for other tasks, and I highly recommend it) to be the best-suited for my needs.

The current version of CherryTree has some new features not found in the version in the repos. so I added the PPA.
http://www.giuspen.com/
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

tovian wrote:I'm not sure if this is "in print" or if it can be printed, but you certainly may want to have a look through this "document"...

I don't think you'll find a book that'll be much better than that.
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D »

I'm not sure if every body is getting my drift here.
It's simply that I want to have a handy basic-look-it-up-here-right-now-manual...
for when I need syntax, flags, options, stuff like that. A hard copy of the "Man" pages, to a limited extent.
I just do better with hard copy...

I have several of the suggestions in at the loc-lib to pick up tomorrow. Soon we'll see who wins the prize. :D
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Pat D wrote:...It's simply that I want to have a handy basic-look-it-up-here-right-now-manual...
for when I need syntax, flags, options, stuff like that.
I guess maybe I'm not understanding how this will help you over the long run when you are talking about borrowing books from the library which, presumably, you will need to return.

I'm glad I don't know everything... it's little mysteries like this that keep life so exciting :roll:

Animal House
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D »

I am hopeful that one of those library books will be good enough to go out and buy.
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

Pat D wrote:I'm not sure if every body is getting my drift here.
It's simply that I want to have a handy basic-look-it-up-here-right-now-manual...
for when I need syntax, flags, options, stuff like that. A hard copy of the "Man" pages, to a limited extent.
I just do better with hard copy...
I follow your drift. I also do better with hard copy. The reason I mentioned TreeLine, et al, is because I also find a digital 'basic-look-it-up-here-right-now-manual' can be very convenient, especially if I can edit it. I did not mean for it to be a replacement for hard copy, but as form of additional documentation.

The TreeLine document I have for Linux commands would require several printed publications to cover the entries it contains, if they were covered at all - many of the entries are specific to my needs. For example, ImageMagick has become an integral part of my photography workflow, and my Treeline document has over dozen IM entries, with six for the convert command alone.

Also, I am learning to use the script and scriptreplay commands. I would be very surprised to find them mentioned in a printed publication, and the man pages are not very thorough. The man pages have the "syntax, flags, options" and stuff like that, but do not have any examples of the commands in use.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

My last thought (on this)...

Go to SS64

Push the button for BASH

Then, push the button for LINKS

Scroll up and down for excellent Linux references

Animal House
Pat D
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Pat D »

tovian, that's amazing!
Thanks bunches!

Return to “Newbie Questions”