<Mostly solved> When and how to remove old LibreOffice?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

<Mostly solved> When and how to remove old LibreOffice?

Post by Superannuated » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:21 am

Pjotr provides instructions for installing a newer version of LibreOffice than what resides in the repos. (He also gives some warnings.)

Briefly, you use the codes:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-5-3
sudo apt-get update
I've read from sources I don't necessarily trust that it is a good idea to remove the old version before installing the new one if the new version is in a different series, e.g., when going from 5.1 to 5.2. Is that true?

On the other hand, if it is OK to have both versions installed, will it be OK to later remove the old version with the Software Manager, since the old version is in the repos? If the command line is better what are the commands?
Last edited by Superannuated on Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: When and how to remove old LibreOffice?

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:13 am

UWith the place you need not remove the older version. Older version will be upgraded to newer one when we use the 3 ppa commands
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:01 am

Thanks. LibreOffice installed via the PPA updated to the newer version and, apparently, replaced the older version.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 am

If you have 2 versions of LO installed, they do both use the same profile. This means, that every time you launch the older version, it is a kind of downgrading the profile, which is likely to create trouble. Another problem might be, that you have double menu entries.

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:00 pm

Cosmo. wrote:If you have 2 versions of LO installed, they do both use the same profile.
Yes, that is the type of concern I have.

How can you tell if you have two versions of LO installed?

In my case (I followed the commands listed in my original post) I do not have double menu entries and the panel launcher that used to launch the older version now launches the newer version. Catfish does not show any duplicate files.

Related to this topic, we are told by these forums that removing apps that were part of the original OS install is a bad idea. Would that be the case for LO or GIMP or would it be better, in general, to remove the old before installing the new?

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:20 pm

LO and Gimp are applications, the system does not rely on them and they can get removed without risk. The only risk in this context is, if you erroneously remove a wrong package. In the newest version of Mint both applications are not even installed, if you do not select to install additional software during the Mint installation.

In case of LO you have to remove the old installation at first. Somewhere in the LO wiki this is also stated.
For Gimp this question does not exist IMO. You can easily get the latest builds of the current stable release, if you add this well reputed PPA: ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp. All newer versions are development versions, not meant for normal usage. After adding the PPA you get newer versions offered by the update manager and you can apply those updates just as packages from the official repositories, no uninstallation beforehand in this case. (But you can remove Gimp, if you not want to have it at all.)

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:30 am

Superannuated wrote:Briefly, you use the codes:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-5-3
sudo apt-get update
Interestingly, I've recently used that method on a desktop and a MacBook without any issues. Just now for another desktop I decided, for the sake of caution, to remove LibreOffice 5.1 first with Synaptic before running the above codes to install LO 5.3.

However, after running the codes and then using the Update Manager to complete the download, I now get a message "Your APT cache is corrupted". I opened the apt.cache text file in /home/scott/.linuxmint/mintMenu and get the following:
ERROR###ERROR###ERROR###ERROR
E:Opening /etc/apt/sources.list.d/libreoffice-libreoffice-5-3-xenial.list - ifstream::ifstream (13: Permission denied), E:The list of sources could not be read.
So, I go over to /etc/apt/sources.list.d/libreoffice-libreoffice-5-3-xenial.list and the permissions are set to:
user root rw
group root r

The Update Manager runs as root to install programs, no? I'm not sure why this isn't working.

I removed the two ppa's and tried the commands a second time. Still doesn't work.
Changing mirrors doesn't help.

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:49 am

I fixed the "APT cache is corrupted" issue. There was a second text file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d directory named
"official-package-repositories.list". The permissions of that file were:
user root rw
group root r
others r
So I changed libreoffice-libreoffice-5-3-xenial.list to include others r. That fixed the APT cache error.

However, when I refresh the Update Manager LibreOffice does not load up for download. Strange.

j8a
Level 1
Level 1

Post by j8a » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Hi,
Why do not you download the tar.gz archives on the Download folder?
First, remove old version running sudo apt remove --purge libreoffice*
Then, run sudo apt update and nothing happens.
Extract the archives tar.gz in your Download folder and change to LibreOffice*/DEBS directory. Run sudo dpkg -i * and the new version of LibreOffice will be installed in the /opt directory. Check that you could open the program after deleting the folder and the tar.gz archive.
You can also download the help tar.gz archive and do the same procedure.
I think It is more easy than using ppa keys.

Best regards, :wink:

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:38 pm

Thanks for that procedure. It may come in handy at a later date. I did install LO a different way, but it didn't solve the problem of the Update Manager not working, so I didn't think it was worth posting another comment.

Pjotr's states that getting LO from the ppa is better than their deb file (see section #8, right column). I assume the same is true of their tar.gz file.
It's much better to use packages from this PPA for that purpose, than to use the *.deb files that The Document Foundation provides upstream. Because those are intentionally built against a very old baseline for maximum compatibility, which is a disadvantage for modern operating systems like Linux Mint 18.x and Ubuntu 16.04.x.
The way I ended up downloading LO 5.3.7.2 was to open Update Manager, go to Software Sources, and PPAs. Then I selected libreoffice/libreoffice-5-3 and Open PPA. Then selected the LO package I wanted and clicked on Install.

LO installed and seems to be working fine. I doubt it will automatically update though because the problem with the Update Manager wasn't fixed. Perhaps it is not a problem for this stable version.

pbear
Level 8
Level 8

Post by pbear » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:39 pm

I think the problem was that you had switched to Cosmo's recommendation but were still following Pjotr's method. Naturally, you can't update an app you have removed. Will be interesting to see what happens from here, but I expect it will update.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
If your problem has been solved, please edit the thread title.

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Re: <Mostly solved> When and how to remove old LibreOffice?

Post by Superannuated » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:53 pm

For clarity, on the two computers where I fully followed Pjotr's procedure the newer LO installed fine and I can see no evidence that the old LO is still on the computers.

On the computer where I first uninstalled LO 5.1 via Synaptic and then tried to install 5.3 by Pjotr's method the Update Manager did not work as it usually does. However, by doing a "manual" install via the Update Manager (as I described in my last message) I was able to install 5.3.

I wonder how things would have gone had I uninstalled LO 5.1 via the terminal?

Return to “Newbie Questions”