a dumb question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
obiterdictum

a dumb question

Post by obiterdictum »

How do I place a password on my Linux Mint set up? I mean something similar to the Windows password that I have to enter each time I boot to Windows?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: a dumb question

Post by Moem »

You get prompted to choose a password during installation. You can then choose whether to log in with this password, or automatically.
Do you already have Mint installed? If so, which one? The correct answer would also include your desktop environment (Cinnamon, Mate...)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ obiterdictum, .......
obiterdictum wrote:How do I place a password on my Linux Mint set up? I mean something similar to the Windows password that I have to enter each time I boot to Windows?
During installation of LM, you will be prompted to do so, ie set to manual-login or auto-login(= login without password).

After installation, if you had opted for auto-login, go to >Menu >Administration >Login Window, to change your setting to manual-login.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

You might also consider setting a boot password in the BIOS. That way, the password request will appear even before the Grub bootloader menu appears.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
RobertService

Post by RobertService »

I just noticed the date you joined these forums. Let me assure you that all of us are absolutely committed to helping you, and firmly believe what it says in "Forum rules"; "There are no such things as "stupid" questions..."
Here is my suggestion, for what it's worth (and one that's always worked for me...): take your time. There is no pressure to become an expert; quite the contrary--because of the Linux distribution you've chosen, and because you've found these forums, you will become more of an expert than someone who paid big money for a proprietary operating system; you'll find yourself being 'productive' (whatever that means) in no time at all. You certainly will be able to install MINT, use the browser, and scoot all around the internet in no time flat. And then...expertise is gradually sneaking up on you while you aren't looking.
Actually, I have one other suggestion: jerks are everywhere. Be careful to not be offended by the occasional 'jerk' who can't resist trying to put you down when s/he detects that you may be somewhat of a newcomer. Don't even respond when your 'jerk/idiot-alert' goes off.
Welcome! Ask questions. No pressure. Ignore idiots. Oh...be sure and ask questions. And above all, obiter dictum--have fun!
Last edited by RobertService on Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

RobertService wrote:I just noticed the date you joined these forums. Let me assure you that all of us are absolutely committed to helping you, and firmly believe what it says in "Forum rules"; "There are no such things as "stupid" questions..."
Here is my suggestion, for what it's worth (and one that's always worked for me...): take your time. There is no pressure to become an expert; quite the contrary--because of the Linux distribution you've chosen, and because you've found these forums, you will become more of an expert than someone who paid big money for a proprietary operating system; you'll find yourself being 'productive' (whatever that means) in no time at all. You certainly will be able to install MINT, use the browser, and scoot all around the internet in no time flat. And then...expertise is gradually sneaking up on you while you aren't looking.
Actually, I have one other suggestion: jerks are everywhere. Be careful to not be offended by the occasional 'jerk' who can't resist trying to put you down when s/he detects that you may be somewhat of a newcomer. Don't even respond when your 'jerk/idiot-alert' goes off.
Welcome! Ask questions. No pressure. Ignore idiots. Oh...be sure and ask questions. And above all--have fun!
+1

The only "dumb question" is the one you don't ask.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

RobertService wrote:Be careful to not be offended by the occasional 'jerk' who can't resist trying to put you down when s/he detects that you may be somewhat of a newcomer. Don't even respond when your 'jerk/idiot-alert' goes off.
If someone is really misbehaving, you can report their comments by clicking the button on each message that looks like this: [!]
Trust me, the mods don't like such behaviour either.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Moem wrote:Trust me, the mods don't like such behaviour either.
As another mod, I agree absolutely. There are no dumb questions.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
kender30

Post by kender30 »

I am assuming you already have Mint installed and you told it to auto-login. The default installation option is to require a password. There are two ways to go about disabling auto-login which turns the password back on. There's the GUI way and the edit a config file way. I'm running 18.3. As I recall, doing this the GUI was slightly different in 17.xx. The config file should be the same on any lightdm window manager system. If you are mdm, let me know and I'll give those instructions.

The GUI way:

img1.jpg
Open your Mate or Cinnamon menu, go to the "Administration" sub-menu
Select "Login Window"

pic2.png
Select the "Users" button/tab
In the "Automatic login" section, delete anything in the "Username" field.
Close out the window and reboot. Autologin has been disabled and a password will be required to login.

The Edit a Config File method:

Open up /etc/lightdm as Administrator or root, depending on which DE you're in (from /, open etc folder, right click on lightdm folder, select Open As Administrator) or change to that directory in a terminal.

Open up lightdm.conf in your favorite text editor (if you are in a terminal, don't forget to sudo)

Find the line that begins with "autologin-user=" which will be set to your username.
delete the username so it is just blank after "autologin-user="
example:
initial file:

[Seat:*]
allow-guest=false
autologin-user=usermcuserface

after changes:

[Seat:*]
allow-guest=false
autologin-user=

Save the changes. Exit the text editor. Reboot. You will be greeted with a login prompt.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@obiterdictum--I am honored to be first in bidding you a hearty Welcome to the Mint forums.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
obiterdictum

Post by obiterdictum »

I would like to thank everyone who responded to my question. I see from the replies that the root of my dilemma is in my not having installed Mint permanently on my machine....I have been booting from a USB stick. It is not that I haven't made up my mind to switch from Windows...I have made it up but have not gotten around to pulling the trigger. Procrastination is a mean and dreadful affliction.

As for jerks etc...well I have never been on a forum without running into one or two of those jokers, and God knows I've been worthy of that designation a time or two myself. But, in the main, I have always been interested in being a good citizen of cyberland and assure all of you I will try to be as open to instruction and as helpful (when I have something to contribute) as I can be. If any bad actor wants to start anything with me he will find he's dealing with a stone wall.

Return to “Beginner Questions”