mesa and nvidia

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
noscail
Level 1
Level 1

mesa and nvidia

Post by noscail »

Hey guys, I checked my update manager today and a update named "mesa" has appeared with the description of "Free implementation of the opengl\es.2.x api -- runtime"

My question is do I need this update if I have a nvidia card? sorry if its been asked before I couldn't find anything on it.

Thanks.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: mesa and nvidia

Post by catweazel »

You should be able to safely apply that. I would recommend you do it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

why would it be a level 4 ? Most say not to install updates from this catergory...
d
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

darco wrote:why would it be a level 4 ?
Without saying, which Mint version you are running this question cannot get answered. In case you use Mint 18.2 or 18.3 there is a help file, which answers your question. Level 4 does not mean "no-go", it means handle with care. One reliable method to take prevention against regressions is TimeShift. In 18.3 it is already on board, in 18 to 18.2 it can be installed from the official repositories.

Regarding "don't install from this category" I strongly recommend to read this.

Return to “Newbie Questions”