Aptik restore mistep......HELP

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Aptik restore mistep......HELP

Post by Glockdoc »

Ok, I have made what I think is a serious blunder...

I have used aptik before to move settings from 1 machine to another with no problems. Tonight I set up a new laptop with Mint, installed aptik, plugged in my usb, and promptly clicked on 1 click back up instead INSTEAD of 1 click RESTORE.

is there any way to recover the previous back up and restore from it? I do not see anywhere to select which back up to restore from.

Dumb mistake as I was mulit tasking and doing this while answering questions from craigslist posts =((

The other machine is in Thailand and I am in Vegas so I can't just do a back up from that machine.

The good news is windows is wiped from the new laptop! LOL

Thanks in advance, J
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Aptik restore mistep......HELP

Post by Cosmo. »

There is hardly a choice, as the old files have not simply been deleted (n this case there might be a chance by using testdisk), but overwritten. You should really avoid to do multitasking in case of system critical tasks - or even better, you should also for such export files create a backup.
Glockdoc
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Aptik restore mistep......HELP

Post by Glockdoc »

Thanks Cosmo. That is pretty much what I thought......on BOTH trains of thought.

Linux is a learning curve. I could have my wife boot up the machine at home( in Thailand ), run aptik, email me the file, etc, etc......

Decided it was just easier to set up the new system.

Thanks again for the info.

JC

Return to “Newbie Questions”