Installation LM 18 Mate + LUKS

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
EMKEI

Installation LM 18 Mate + LUKS

Post by EMKEI »

Hi all,

I want to use Dual Boot "Windows 10" + "Linux Mint Mate 18.3 + LUKS"
I have already installed Windows 10 (now i will install linux)
When installing linux, I chose my own installation type "Custom"

Code: Select all

(SSD Disk)
/dev/nwme0n1
-/dev/nwme0n1p1 ntfs 580mb (Windows Loader)
-/dev/nwme0n1p2 ntfs 255000mb

(Normal Disk)
/dev/sda
-free space 1000000mb
I want to split the second disk in half and install "Linux Mint Mate 18.3 + LUKS"

EXAMPLE:

Code: Select all

(SSD Disk)
/dev/nwme0n1
-/dev/nwme0n1p1 ntfs 580mb (Windows Loader)
-/dev/nwme0n1p2 ntfs 255000mb

(Normal Disk)
/dev/sda
-/dev/sda1 500000mb = "Linux Mint Mate 18.3 + LUKS"
-free space 500000mb
Unfortunately, I don't know what options to choose for installing linux + LUKS...

I have to create a SWAP and EXT4 partition and then an encryption partition?
Or just an encryption partition??
Which device should I choose to install the boot loader?

PS:
I found a lot of instructions on the internet. But most of them are for the installed system and commands to the terminal...

THX help me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Installation LM 18 Mate + LUKS

Post by Laurent85 »

Installer does not handle custom partitioning with LUKS encryption, only option available uses whole disk, you can select full disk encryption using first installation type option "Erasse disk and installa Linux Mint...", then on next screen select 1000MB disk target for installation.

Edit: target disk size correction, 1000Mb, not 500Mb.
Last edited by Laurent85 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
EMKEI

Post by EMKEI »

"Erasse disk and installa Linux Mint...", then on next screen select 500MB disk target for installation.
there is no option to choose 500mb (there is only the whole disk option).
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Select "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" then press "Continue" button, disk target selection only appears on next screen.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"I want to split the second disk in half and install "Linux Mint Mate 18.3 + LUKS" ...the Mint installer will not do this... "there is only the whole disk option" ...that's right. Ubuntu chose to use LVM-on-LUKS and hard-coded the formatting options into the Ubiquity installer.

Laurent85 is suggesting you use the whole 500GB drive for your encrypted Mint, which the installer can handle, writing over the Windows, of course.
Laurent85
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Laurent85 »

Mute Ant wrote:Laurent85 is suggesting you use the whole 500GB drive for your encrypted Mint, which the installer can handle, writing over the Windows, of course.
Edit: 1000 Mb drive is blank, that will not overwrite Windows which is installed on the nvme drive.
Last edited by Laurent85 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

This is getting messy...
NV drive is 255GB with Windows on it.
SD drive is 1000GB and blank.
OP wants encrypted-Mint on half of the SD drive... sadly this is not possible.
There is no 500GB drive.
lostfarmer

Post by lostfarmer »

You can do it all manually.
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2061
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=252111 --last post. Might get you started.

Just how one does it will depend on if you want all but efi in luks or just the system and not efi nor boot. I would not put /boot into the luks , if you plan on the use of a passphase file.

Just messing around with luks (do not understand very mush) I did as per the first link with a passphase file and only efi outside of the luks. Possible problem when update-initramfs is ran the passphase file is embedded into the initrd.img. Then if you copy the initrd.img outside of the luks, that file then can be used without passphase entry to boot into the luks.
ovalent

Post by ovalent »

Laurent85 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 pm Select "Erase disk and install Linux Mint" then press "Continue" button, disk target selection only appears on next screen.
Your method worked like a charm ! Thank you.
In my case (Linux Mint 18.3 installer) there is not "Continue" button but "Install now" button.
I was afraid to do not have the target selection screen (I didn't want that the installer erase my sda disk where I have my windows 10). But as you mentioned it, there is actually a selection screen where you can choose the target the disk (in my case sdb) where you want to install the encrypted linux.
Then at the end, after reboot, I the grub selection propose me: Windows 10 with Bitlocker or Linux Mint with LUKS :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”