Laptop won't stay in Suspend [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Laptop won't stay in Suspend [Solved]

Post by norm.h »

I am running Mint 18.2 Mate with a recently installed 4.13.0-26 kernel, and no dual-boot.

I have noticed an issue with the Suspend feature where although the laptop will go into Suspend it does not remain so.
My Power Management settings are set to Suspend when the suspend button is pressed [Fn with F12], and to do nothing when laptop lid is closed.
I have tried various combinations of these settings none of which overcome the issue.

When I initiate Suspend, the wifi drops out as it should do, and indicator light starts flashing as it should do, but up to 30 seconds later, the light goes steady and I get intermittent flashing of the hard drive activity light.
When I open the lid, the wifi connection is already active, and there is a noticeable drop in the remaining battery charge..

This has only happened since using the 4.13 kernel, so is there any way I can get the laptop to remain in Suspend until opened for use, or would it be better to revert to the 4.4 kernel?
Last edited by norm.h on Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Laptop won't stay in Suspend

Post by Spearmint2 »

what happens with CTRL-ALT-L command? Have you also tried the Quit followed by the Suspend from the Menu?
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

CTRL-ALT-L didn't give a suspend option.

Quit > Suspend suspended for less than 20 seconds then the laptop fired up on it's own, whether or not the lid was closed.

I've tried it with and without apps running, and from the Shutdown button I have in the panel.
Last edited by norm.h on Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

norm.h wrote:CTRL-ALT-L didn't give a suspend option.

Quit > Suspend suspended for less than 20 seconds then the laptop fired up on it's own, whether or not the lid was closed.
Go into BIOS settings and turn off WOL (wake on LAN) and others that might be waking it up.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I can't see any of that in the BIOS
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

All BIOS I've seen have that in it. What motherboard or computer model?
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

As stated above my kernel is now 4.13.0-26

Code: Select all

normh@normh-nspire2 ~ $ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: normh-nspire2 Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3) Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   System: Novatech (portable) product: W94_95_97JU
           Mobo: Novatech model: W94_95_97JU Bios: American Megatrends v: 5.11 date: 01/05/2017
CPU:       Dual core Intel Pentium 4405U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 2048 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 8448
           clock speeds: max: 2100 MHz 1: 499 MHz 2: 500 MHz 3: 499 MHz 4: 500 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Device 1906 bus-ID: 00:02.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1366x768@59.99hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 510 (Skylake GT1)
           GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 12.0.6 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1f.3
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
           driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: e000 bus-ID: 01:00.1
           IF: enp1s0f1 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Intel Wireless 7265 driver: iwlwifi bus-ID: 02:00.0
           IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (2.7% used) ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS545050B7 size: 500.1GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 455G used: 8.8G (3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
           ID-2: swap-1 size: 4.20GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info:      Processes: 188 Uptime: 1:27 Memory: 1703.6/3866.8MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
           Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35 
normh@normh-nspire2 ~ $ 
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

UEFI system. Seems you would need to use one or more of these utilities to check that. They probably only run in windows. Is this double boot system? Or did you install only linux and maybe in Legacy mode? I bet the WOL was there in Legacy mode if you'd installed linux in it.

https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Pre-Boot_ ... _Sheet.pdf

https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Aptio_V_Data_Sheet.pdf

https://ami.com/ami_downloads/AMIBIOS8_ ... _Sheet.pdf

https://ami.com/en/search/

https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Aptio_TSE_Users_Guide.pdf
see page 29
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

UEFI is disabled in the BIOS, and no dual-boot.
I installed Mint 18.2 from a downloaded file supplied by Mint six months ago, and it [suspend] has been OK until I upgraded the kernel from 4.8 [shipped with 18.2] to 4.13

On advice from here: http://linux.chrissweeney.co.uk/topic.php?t=38

normh@normh-nspire2 ~ $ sudo ethtool eth0
[sudo] password for normh: 
Settings for eth0:
Cannot get device settings: No such device
Cannot get wake-on-lan settings: No such device
Cannot get message level: No such device
Cannot get link status: No such device
No data available
normh@normh-nspire2 ~ $ 
Last edited by norm.h on Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

UEFI is disabled in the BIOS, and no dual-boot.
I installed Mint 18.2 from a downloaded file supplied by Mint six months ago, and it has been OK until I upgraded the kernel from 4.8 [shipped with 18.2] to 4.13
then roll back to the earlier kernel till a later kernel with more fixed in it is offered. Remember, Meltdown and Spectre are currently only "vulnerabilities", not yet "at risk" or "known exploits in the wild".
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

The 4.8 series is no longer supported and I've got 4.4.0-104 installed - I'll try that
Thanks for your interest and help.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Weird.........
I haven't done anything but bit of forum browsing - not got round to changing the kernel, but today everything seems to be working as it should. hmmmm

If it's still OK tomorrow or Monday, I'll mark this SOLVED.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Today, it was back to not suspending.
As suggested, I rolled back to 4.4.0-104, it worked at first, but later on back to not staying in suspend.
I've now upgraded to 4.4.0-109.

Will see how it goes, but this behaviour is most confusing.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Maybe you are developing a RAM problem, since that's used for Suspend, whereas Hibernate writes to a file. Is it failing to enter suspend, or failing to come out of it?
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

It goes into Suspend but only stays so for a few seconds, then I see the HDD activity light flash and the Suspend light goes steady.
When I open the lid, it's already reconnected the wifi.

Same happens on both battery and AC power
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

norm.h wrote:It goes into Suspend but only stays so for a few seconds, then I see the HDD activity light flash and the Suspend light goes steady.
When I open the lid, it's already reconnected the wifi.

Same happens on both battery and AC power
then something is waking it back up and you have to search for that. If it's not some "wake" function in the BIOS, then it could be some "cron" job doing it. That's found in "crontab" if I remember correctly. cron from greek "chronia" meaning "time" or "year".

info crontab
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I think I've found what's causing this.............my new wifi mouse.
Reading around Ubuntu [ :oops: ] forums I found some quite old posts detailing the same issue, and a suggestion that USB3 could be the culprit.
My mouse receiver is inserted in a USB2 socket, but I tried switching the mouse off to see what happens. Suspend seems to work properly if the mouse is switched off.

I also found this [dated May2011] but the file etc/pm/config.d is empty, and so I'm reluctant to try:

When the XHCI module is loaded for USB 3.0 operation the system cannot suspend. Manually unloading XHCI will allow suspend to complete normally. To avoid future suspend problems, the workaround is to add SUSPEND_MODULES="xhci-hcd" to /etc/pm/config.d/unload_module then the system can suspend normally.
EDIT: looking under "lsmod" I don't see any module "xhci-hcd" anyway.

Then I found this, [dated Feb 2011]:

Sleep/Suspend function:
The sleep function in Ubuntu apparently does not work well with some devices (especially those with USB 3.0). If you have USB 3.0 and your device can't be suspended, then this is definitely why.

Open up terminal and enter:
Code:   sudo gedit /etc/pm/config.d/unload_module

*NOTE: This module is not on the system. We are actually creating this module.*

Add the line:  SUSPEND_MODULES="xhci-hcd"
Save and exit.
This should get your sleep/suspend function working properly again. 
Due to the age of the solution, I'm still reluctant to try.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I'm going to mark this as SOLVED, because I've found it's nothing to do with Linux - at least not in my case.

I bought this laptop new six months ago, and until January I have been using the trackpad.
I bought the mouse early in January, but didn't notice the issue until I changed kernels, which has turned out to be a red herring.

I normally sit on the settee without a mouse-mat, which were the conditions when I first noticed the issue, but sat at the table using a rubber-backed mouse-mat everything was OK [as detailed in my post on Sat at 4 pm].

After a bit of experimenting, I've found that everything is OK if I use the rubber-backed mouse-mat on the settee, but if I lift the mouse off the mat while in Suspend, the laptop wakes up.

I found that even without a mouse-mat, if I switch the mouse off before Suspending, it works OK.

If I use a different mouse-mat [one that sits in a plastic base] it's OK using the mat in its case, but if I use the mat out of the case, Suspend doesn't work.

If I use a wired mouse, even without a mouse-mat, everything works fine.

So the wifi signal seems to be the culprit, leaving me with choices that have nothing to do with Linux :wink:

My thanks again to Spearmint2 for the interest and suggestions.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Laptop won't stay in Suspend [Solved]

Post by Spearmint2 »

That's a wake up related to USB. May still find something in BIOS about waking on USB, but I've also noticed some distros seem to set USB settings differently from other distros, which may also be affecting it. If it was in the BIOS, that would be easier. That's one reason I had to use a boot time "quirks mode" for my mechanical keyboard to even be recognized in Mint 17.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Laptop won't stay in Suspend [Solved]

Post by norm.h »

My BIOS is different from the one you referred to here:
https://ami.com/ami_downloads/Aptio_TSE_Users_Guide.pdf
in that it doesn't have a Chipset tab, nor could I find anything relating to "wake up", USB related or otherwise.

Return to “Newbie Questions”