How to change pointer in Cinnamon 18.3? SOLVED

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Alfie_ca
Level 1
Level 1

How to change pointer in Cinnamon 18.3? SOLVED

Post by Alfie_ca » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:24 am

SOLVED :D

This is pretty recent release, and as in all the previous versions the mouse pointer is TOO small.
It should be double the size as a standard - honestly, what is the big deal?.
All my searches produced no result yet, and the tip to go to Themes - yes - this version displays only 3 versions of the pointer that is all the same dinky size.
There is no means to resize it (+-)
Can it be addressed in the next release?
Thank you for this consideration.
Last edited by Moem on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you, in such a way that it can be seen on the forum overview page; you can do this for your own topics. Thanks!

TopEnder
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How to change pointer in Cinnamon 18.3?

Post by TopEnder » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:33 am

Reasonable easy: Go to System Settings/Appearance/Workspace Theme/Cursor Theme. Bottom Right hand side click on Resolution Dependent and select the size you require.. That's how it works in KDE, Sorry I stuffed up I was on my Laptop which has Linux Mint 18.3 KDE Edition installed.
Last edited by TopEnder on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 am

Mmm.... in Cinnamon 3.6.7 the pointer size slider is in Preferences / Mouse & Touchpad.

Edit to add - this seems a bit buggy in current cinnamon - when I changed it to a massive cursor the size would revert to default when hovering over an application window. Needed a reboot to get the change to work properly.
Screenshot from 2018-01-13 06-25-10.png
You can also install additional cursor-themes via software manager / synaptic (search in Software Manager for 'cursor'). I like the 'breeze-cursor-theme' which I think is KDE's default.

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:11 am

Alfie_ca wrote:It should be double the size as a standard
No, it should not. We all have different preferences, that's why there is a setting for it.
It's okay not to know where to find it, and it's a great idea to ask, but why so cranky?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Moem
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Moem » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:43 am

Because the OP sent me a private message, here's what the setting looks like on my Mint Cinnamon 18.3. I hope this helps them find it. I strongly suspect they were looking under Themes.
Attachments
pointersize.png

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Alfie_ca
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alfie_ca » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:26 pm

Thank you - everybody - for trying to help solve the larger cursor problem.
Much appreciate it.
Navigation to someone who is new to Linux is far from complete - meaning unlike Windoze.
Yes, there is a Mouse found under Themes. But has NO size controls -all small - only black, mixed colour and white.
In Preferences there is no link to it - I have just found the size controls by typing a mouse into the Search box.
The Preferences are found in System Settings.
After the release I could not find it anywhere - Now it is on the Menu as Mouse and touch pad - size slider and all.
Happily this issue is solved.
Again thanks

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How to change pointer in Cinnamon 18.3? SOLVED

Post by smurphos » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:47 am

If you are trying to find it from the main menu it is Preferences > Mouse & Touchpad.

If you have the System Settings app open which categorises the submodules into Appearance, Preferences, & Hardware it's under Hardware > Mouse & Touchpad.

The Themes sub-module for Mouse Pointer is simply to change the Cursor theme from the preinstalled or any others you have added via Software Manager or manually installed.

Return to “Newbie Questions”