Suitable Wifi Devices

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Xavier321
Level 1
Level 1

Suitable Wifi Devices

Post by Xavier321 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi,

After a horrid time with Ubuntu in 2006 and then 2011 I have decided to try Linux again with Mint in 2017.

I have no choice but to use wifi as a way to connect to the web, which I am currently doing so via a TP-link Archer T4U. Their Linux support is pretty thin on the ground and only provide a driver for kernels 2.6.18 ~ 3.19.3 (out of date I presume?) that you have to compile and then install by yourself. Not particularly suitable for the tech illiterate such as myself.

As this Wifi USB does not work out of the box and there are no driver installs I can download ( I have a laptop I can use for the internet while the desktop has no access) and then use, are there any suggestions on an inexpensive piece of wifi hardware (My TP-Link was £20, can't really afford to go expensive) I can buy that will 'just work'? I am open to internal desktop wifi cards as well USB ones, I tend to average 43Mbps down and 10 Mbps up on what I have now on a 5GHz wifi connection, up so I do not need anything with a particularly monster bandwidth.

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Suitable Wifi Devices

Post by JeremyB » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:32 pm

What version of Linux Mint are you using? What is the result of lsusb in terminal, as there might be better modules for your USB device. Do you have any internal slots open for a PCI or PCIe card?

Xavier321
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xavier321 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:45 am

Well it is a new install of 18.3 (probably borked since I do not get the dual boot menu at start and have to change drive order to get linux to boot).

Lsusb results ( maybe some typos as I can't copy paste)

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0951:1666 Kingston Technology DataTraveler G4 (This is correct, it is the USB that has mint etc on it)
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 258a:1006 (Keyboard)
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 2357:0101 (What should be the wifi USB, was tested with the above b repeating lsusb while removing/plugging these devices)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1038:1702 SteelSeries ApS (mouse)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I am only running a GPU in one of them so I have plenty or various speeds available (Asrock 350m pro4), Though the PCIE x4 is disabled as I am using a M2 Nvme, but I can change it to another M2 which would open the x4 as it would take a SATA lane instead. Hope this helps

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:52 am

https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -13-kernel

Might help. Assuming you're on 4.13 (check with the uname -r command in a terminal), but if you're not, there's a good chance anything mentioned there will work for you. You can do similar searches in a search engine to find something known to be supported, then hop on over to Amazon to see if you can find one. Or, go to Amazon anyway and look at reviews; ask questions there about whether it works on Linux well. Dire wireless issues were more a thing of the past; it's since much improved.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:59 am

For that wifi you could try the rtl8812au-dkms package. I don't think there are many 5Ghz USB wifi devices supported in the kernel but dual band Intel PCI are supported like the 7260

Xavier321
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xavier321 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 am

To get his package I assume I just google it and download it onto a usb drive to transfer to the desktop and there will be some kind of installer that I click on?

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:39 am

Check dpkg -l | grep dkms
If it shows a result for dkms being installed you could download https://github.com/jeremyb31/rtl8812AU/ ... 4.3.14.zip and put it on your Mint Desktop, right click on it and choose extract here

Code: Select all

sudo dkms add ./rtl8812AU-driver-4.3.14
sudo dkms install rtl8812AU/5
Reboot

Xavier321
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xavier321 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:55 am

I just get an error message saying 'unknown option 1'

So I guess that means there is nothing I can do? I did try 1, L, and I just in case there was some mistake due to unclear fonts. The L did do something but it looks more like a shortened s on the terminal whereas what you have pasted looks more like the number 1.

I could not find any upto date 'just works' lists and the ones that the sellers claim to work on amazon have reviews saying they do not.

I was told mint 'just works' for people like me, perhaps I am just not enough of an IT person to make it 'just work'. Maybe I should go back to windows where I belong and leave Linux to the technical people.

EDIT: well I did try it but I had to stop at the first sudo line as I keep getting a directory does not exist error message

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:03 am

./rtl8812AU-driver-4.3.14
in all caps is ./RTL8812AU-DRIVER-4.3.14

It seems you may have added a space somewhere

Another option is to open the rtl8812AU-driver-4.3.14 folder and then right click/open in terminal, then do

make
sudo make install
Reboot and see if that works

Actually you could download http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/u ... u7_all.deb
Copy it to your Mint desktop and double click to install. It should work well for your current kernel but might need to be reinstalled if you update the kernel due to a bug in the Makefile/dkms.conf file

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:10 am

I was told mint 'just works' for people like me, perhaps I am just not enough of an IT person to make it 'just work'. Maybe I should go back to windows where I belong and leave Linux to the technical people.
As far as as I know, the Mint team doesn't write drivers. They make sure a LOT of stuff is available right off the bat. If a piece of hardware isn't supported, that's not a fault with Linux, it's a fault with the manufacturer for not supporting Linux. Either that, or a mistake on your part for trying to use an unsupported device. Giving up on Linux because your wifi dongle is unsupported seems illogical to me. You don't give up on cars because certain wheels don't fit your car; you go out and get a suitable wheel.

There are many little old ladies and gentlemen who use Linux, by the way. Kids, too. It's not just for tech-savvy people anymore. You can run into many issues on any platform. Again, the car analogy: you don't give up on cars and use a push bike because your car has issues you don't know how to fix. Well, you might, ... maybe that wasn't the best analogy. :P
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Xavier321
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xavier321 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 pm

JeremyB wrote:./rtl8812AU-driver-4.3.14
in all caps is ./RTL8812AU-DRIVER-4.3.14

It seems you may have added a space somewhere

Another option is to open the rtl8812AU-driver-4.3.14 folder and then right click/open in terminal, then do

make
sudo make install
Reboot and see if that works

Actually you could download http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/u ... u7_all.deb
Copy it to your Mint desktop and double click to install. It should work well for your current kernel but might need to be reinstalled if you update the kernel due to a bug in the Makefile/dkms.conf file
Hi,

I gave this another try tonight and these are my results:-

- Retyping the commands in upper case had no effect I was still getting the same error message.
- Downloading and running the install went ok, however I got an 'broken dependencies' message which told me to run ' sudo apt-get install -f' which I did and it only wanted to uninstall things so I selected no.
- Finally I tried the 'open in terminal' option and this was successful for a brief period and then the connection dropped and I have been unable to reconnect ever since, it just gets stuck in an never ending 'connecting' cycle while going 'offline' every now and then before getting stuck in another 'connecting' cycle.

Meanwhile I have ordered a "Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 867Mbps PCI Express WiFi" PCI card while more expensive that what I would have liked it is supposed to 'just work' as the 'chipset is already supported in the kernel', this is all I have been able to find. As no one has suggested anything else I could go an buy I would guess no one knows any others? I really wish there was some kind of clear simple list somewhere of things that are known to work out of the box, it would save a lot of frustration.

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:32 pm

All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Last year I bought the "ALFA Network AWUS036NHA Atheros AR9271" to try out Mint 18.1, and it worked right out of the box. I did not have to install anything extra.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 8UD37Y8211

I think it may also be available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y6MIXS/_e ... YS0Q&psc=0

I have also seen it work on Mageia and Ubuntu, so it seems to be pretty universal.

There is a long discussion on the Mageia forum that led me to that device.

https://forums.mageia.org/en/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11635

Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:58 pm

I really wish there was some kind of clear simple list somewhere
There are 38.759 billion models of Wifi device using only a few hundred Wifi chips. If the manufacturers disclosed the chip ID, you could look up driver support for the chip easily. Add the complication that the manufacturer might change the chip from batch to batch but keep the same model number. You need the chip id from

lsusb

As a rough guide, anything using USB and labelled Realtek is :twisted:

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:06 am

Petermint wrote:
I really wish there was some kind of clear simple list somewhere
There are 38.759 billion models of Wifi device using only a few hundred Wifi chips. If the manufacturers disclosed the chip ID, you could look up driver support for the chip easily. Add the complication that the manufacturer might change the chip from batch to batch but keep the same model number. You need the chip id from

lsusb

As a rough guide, anything using USB and labelled Realtek is :twisted:
It was right there.
Features:
150Mbps wireless transmission rate.
Chipset: Ralink3070 ( 3000mW).

Specifications:
Hardware:
Chipset: Ralink 3070
Host interface: USB2.0/1.1 type A (4 pin header)
LEDS; link/Activity
RF:
Antenna: SMA 5dBi antenna (2T2R)
Frequency: 2412~2483.5 MHz, ISM band
Transmit Power: 802.11b: 17+/-1.5dBm; 802.11g: 14+/-1.5dBm;
Receive Sensitivity: 802.11b: -84dBm@11Mbps; 802.11g: -68dBm@54Mbps
Software:
Operation System: Windows CE/2000/XP/Vista/Win 7/8; Linux;
Security: WEP 64/128, WPA, WPA2, 802.1x, Cisco CCS V1.0, 2.0 and V3.0 Compliant
Operation Conditions:
Voltage Range: DC 5.0V ± 5%
Operating Temperature: 0°C - 50°C
Storage Temperature: -20°C - 70°C Operating Humility: RH 95% (Non-Condensing)
Storage Humidity: RH 95% (Non-Condensing)

Package Includes:
1 x High Power USB Wireless Adapter
1 x USB Cable
2 x Antenna
1 x CD Driver
1 x User Manual

Chipsets that work with Kali Linux include:

Atheros AR9271
Ralink RT3070
Ralink RT3572
Realtek 8187L (Wireless G adapters)
Realtek RTL8812AU (newly in 2017)
my research also suggests the Ralink RT5370N is compatible
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Xavier321
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xavier321 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Hi all,

The gigabyte PCI card arrived yesterday and I was able to try it today and as as stated in the place where I found it, this does just work out of the box with no fiddling required (intel chipset) . The signal strength is not as strong as the cheaper USB adapter that apparently should work but does not (it is RTL8812AU) but it is good enough for what I intend to be doing in mint.

To all those where it is due I just want to say thanks a lot for trying to help out this idiot and it is was nice to see this forum was not awash with the facetious snobbery that drove me away from Linux a few years ago.

The Mint desktop really does look quite beautiful and now I can actually have a wiki open, it will be a nice thing to look at while trying to get acquainted with it, thanks again to those with the patience to help me!

Regarding the failed install for the USB is there some kind of clean up I need to do? The updater gives me a ' can't install broken package system' message when I try to use it and the USB install files are mentioned in the details

JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:57 pm

You could use Synaptic Package Manager, click edit and Fix Broken packages

Return to “Newbie Questions”