Merge unused space

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
piroska
Level 1
Level 1

Merge unused space

Post by piroska » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:56 pm

How to I merge unused space? I removed windows, and I hate messy hard drives...not even sure why there is so many partitions, originally there were 2, then I dual booted Linux, now removed Windows. All stuff I want to keep is within the main linux folder. Whatever partition that is....?
Screenshot from 2018-01-15 14-55-56.png

johnny9308
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Merge unused space

Post by johnny9308 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:22 pm

The simplest and safest way to clean up your partitions (since you aren't using LVM) would be to back up your important files, reinstall Linux Mint from scratch (tell it to wipe everything), then restore your important files.

If your partitioning setup was using LVM that would have made things easier. It's possible to resize partitions without LVM but it's a fairly risky/advanced topic. If you want to learn more, do a web search for "resize2fs gparted delete". Be sure to back up your important files before attempting any partitioning changes.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:50 am

It's not going to be trivial to merge the partitions. It is a very time consuming action as well (because it will copy large amounts of data on the disk). The advice above to back up the files you want to keep and reinstall is a sound one. That lets the Linux Mint installer set it up to use your entire disk.
  • /dev/sda1: is your Linux boot partition. Unclear why this is 146 GiB big — 2 GiB is more than enough. Reinstalling should fix that.
  • unallocated: probably a gap for partition alignment
  • /dev/sda2: this is an old Windows partition showing almost 60 GiB of data on it. Make sure to backup what you want to keep of this. Ideally you do not use ntfs (Windows) filesystems with Linux. Reinstalling Linux Mint would give you Linux filesystems.
  • /dev/sda3: this is the default extended partition Linux Mint installer creates, in which it makes the logical sub-partitions underneath it.
  • /dev/sda5: this is your Linux Mint partition for the operating system and your own files.
  • /dev/sda6: this is your Linux Mint swap partition.

catweazel
Level 17
Level 17

Post by catweazel » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:24 am

piroska wrote:How to I merge unused space? I removed windows, and I hate messy hard drives...not even sure why there is so many partitions, originally there were 2, then I dual booted Linux, now removed Windows. All stuff I want to keep is within the main linux folder. Whatever partition that is....?

Screenshot from 2018-01-15 14-55-56.png
You can't merge the space on /dev/sda2 (NTFS data) with the space on /dev/sda5 (linux root). Your NTFS data partition is a primary (standard) partition that sits outside of the extended partition that your linux data resides in. You will need to backup your treasured stuff, reinstall Mint, then restore your treasures.

Ignore the unallocated space. That's done by an installer, either Windwoes or Linux, to properly align partition boundaries so as not to impact disk access time, amongst other things.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

piroska
Level 1
Level 1

Post by piroska » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:58 am

Well, I went ahead before there was a response. A risk, but well, worst case scenario and I would have to reinstall.
I had moved my stuff I wanted from the windows bit into a Linux folder before I started.

Anyway all seems to be well.

naturally my blundering about caused a no boot scenario, so I did the fix grub thing. Well it did it, I ran it.
On completion it gave me this :
https://paste.ubuntu.com/26390393/

Might mean something to you guys....

I now have this:
Screenshot from 2018-01-15 20-50-55.png
I see the 146Gb is too big but I am hesitant to resize it.
Should I?
It would let me...I tried without applying changes..........But being boot, it makes me a bit nervous to do so.

I did the rest, copied data first, then deleted, then resized.

But I made that wee partition as there was the swap file one before, but now it doesn't let me make one. Did I need it?
SHould I wipe out the wee one and forget it?

Not a major as the drive is huge for Linux, no shortage of room....and at least it is tidier now, I hate messy drives...

Now what sort of image program should I use? I used to use Active@. I'd make an image of C: and thats it.
Data lived on D:

Now, I'm not sure what to image.

Both? One of them?
Should I even use Active @ or is there some Linux image thing.

I like an image not just files backups....

As for file backups, I used to use Syncback, whats the equivalent of that? I'd back up straight onto external....

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:37 am

It looks like there is something in /dev/sda3 -- if you click the triangle icon before it, does it unfold? I'd guess your swap partition is still in there. If you have a lot of RAM (say 16 GB or more), you're unlikely to ever need swap unless you use suspend to disk (hibernate).

I'd suggest Dejadup as an alternative to Syncback. You can install it through Software Manager. Some info on how Dejadup does its thing https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/DejaDup/HowItWorks

Return to “Newbie Questions”