Trouble Mounting microSD card [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robertgrant1203

Trouble Mounting microSD card [SOLVED]

Post by robertgrant1203 »

So Ive been trying to load some music on my phones SD card and i cant seem to get the card to mount. Ive tried mounting it after a shut down and still nothing. any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Trouble Mounting microSD card

Post by orschiro »

What did you do? Can you outline the steps? Any error messages you got?
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

I assume you plug the card into a reader on your computer? There's 3 sorts of card and 3 sorts of reader, nine ways you can connect physically, but 3 of those 9 don't work.
An XC card won't work in a HC slot.
An XC card won't work in a SD slot.
An HC card won't work in a SD slot.
It doesn't help the unsuspecting novice that all three are physically compatible. The type of card will be marked on it. The type of slot might be marked, or you might have to look it up in the machine's manual, or get an external slot that definitely is compatible with your card.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... mory_cards

There's a similar situation with CD, DVD and BR disks...
A BR disk won't work in a DVD drive.
A BR disk won't work in a CD drive.
A DVD disk won't work in a CD drive.
robertgrant1203

i don't have any error messages. it just doesn't show up on the desk top or in the file manager, its an internal reader, i read somewhere that older computers need the card installed before it will load it. so i rebooted the computer and it still does not show up on the file manager or on the desktop.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

What size card? Small to medium cards are formatted to FAT. Larger cards are formatted to junkFAT. Sorry, the correct name is exFAT. :-)
exFAT is proprietary to stop non Windows computers using it. Microsoft hope this will make Microsoft as obscenely profitable as Apple.

In most cases, you can format the card as FAT. Bill Gates will have to be satisfied with being only the second richest person on the planet.
robertgrant1203

its a miroSD card used in a phone, 32gb slipped into a larger housing to fit into the computer port. i do think it is fat formated
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

Can you try any other distro from a live cd and check if the problem exists also on those?
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Resorting to the command line is a pain. I inserted a USB disk then unmounted it.

Code: Select all

lsblk -a
returned the following line for the unmounted disk. You can also use

lshw
. See if lshw or lsblk -a shows the device for you.
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sdb 8:16 1 0 disk

sudo hdparm -I /dev/sdb
returned the following data.

/dev/sdb:
SG_IO: bad/missing sense data, sb[]: f0 00 05 00 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 20 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

ATA device, with non-removable media
Standards:
Likely used: 1
Configuration:
Logical max current
cylinders 0 0
heads 0 0
sectors/track 0 0
--
Logical/Physical Sector size: 512 bytes
device size with M = 1024*1024: 0 MBytes
device size with M = 1000*1000: 0 MBytes
cache/buffer size = unknown
Capabilities:
IORDY not likely
Cannot perform double-word IO
R/W multiple sector transfer: not supported
DMA: not supported
PIO: pio0
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"32GB slipped into a larger housing" So it can't be a microSD card, they only go up to 4GB.
bjmh46
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bjmh46 »

I believe that micro sd cards over 2gb are considered to be sdhc. My laptops, 5 thinkpads and 2 hp's, all read my 16, 32 & 64gb micro sd(hc) cards in the full size sd adapter. I would expect the OP's card is either exfat or has a problem. I've run into a few cards that were formatted exfat as purchased. One can easily install exfat-fuse from the repository, or use gparted to blow away the exfat partition and re-format fat 32.

Regards
Bob
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

One of my 32 GB microSD cards in an adaptor as shown in

lsblk -a
when mounted:
mmcblk0 179:0 0 29.1G 0 disk
└─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 29.1G 0 part /media/peter/TOSHIBA32GB

The same 32 GB microSD card in an adaptor as shown in

lsblk -a
when unmounted:
mmcblk0 179:0 0 29.1G 0 disk
└─mmcblk0p1 179:1 0 29.1G 0 part

When the microSD card is not mounted, the Disks application shows SD Card Reader /dev/mmcblk0 with partition W95 FAT32.

The following discussion covers installing exFAT code then using Gparted and Disks.
https://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?topic=12121.0
robertgrant1203

orschiro wrote:Can you try any other distro from a live cd and check if the problem exists also on those?
it mounted fine in 17 before i upgraded to 18
robertgrant1203

Mute Ant wrote:"32GB slipped into a larger housing" So it can't be a microSD card, they only go up to 4GB.

yes it is a micro, and it has a full size adapter
robertgrant1203

SO i was thinking maybe it was a hardware driver issue, so i thought why don't i just install recent distro updates. I have them shut off. I had some issues awhile back with auto updates of previous distros so now i manually update. Anyway after this recent update, and a shutdown and fresh boot up, the card came up. I can even mount it without a restart. Sorry to waste all yalls time, i don't know why i didn't think of this before.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

robertgrant1203 wrote:So Ive been trying to load some music on my phones SD card and i cant seem to get the card to mount. Ive tried mounting it after a shut down and still nothing. any help would be appreciated.
I'm glad I don't have your problem...I added a 32GB Sandisk microSDHC card to my phone...when I connected the phone to the computer I got..."cannot mount" so I clicked ok and about 6 seconds later the phone's HD opened double clicked the new microSDHC card which opened and I put my Music in...you can be lucky sometimes. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Arrababiski
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Arrababiski »

robertgrant1203 wrote:
Mute Ant wrote:"32GB slipped into a larger housing" So it can't be a microSD card, they only go up to 4GB.
yes it is a micro, and it has a full size adapter
Be careful with microSD to SD adapters, they fail sometimes. Please try:

- lsblk, then insert SD card, lsblk again and see if a new volume appears
- If a new volume appears, you can test it with e2fsck -v /dev/sdb1 (sdb1 or the new volume name that appears in your computer)
- Test the microSD card with another microSD to SD adapter in your computer
- Try to read the SD in another computer

After that we can see if the failure is in the adapter, in the card, in the computer or in the file system...
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Arrababiski wrote:Be careful with microSD to SD adapters, they fail sometimes.
Indeed. I have trouble with one of mine, sometimes have to re-insert the card a couple of times before it works reliably.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Beginner Questions”