More Kernel confusion

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mr_Reed
Level 3
Level 3

More Kernel confusion

Post by Mr_Reed » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 pm

Is the default kernel in 18.3 already patched for the meltdown and spectre or not? That's what is confusing me, because I don't understand why a brand new installation of 18.3 requires a new kernel already. I don't udnerstand MESA and those other ones either. What is MESA? Completely new to this stuff!

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Update Manager and the Kernel confusion

Post by xenopeek » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:33 am

No, the installation of Linux Mint is done from the DVD / USB thumb drive itself. After installing Linux Mint you should apply updates. You should apply all available updates level 1-3, and at least all security updates of higher level. Set up Timeshift so you can roll back updates if something doesn't work right (see installation guide, chapter on snapshots https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php). Mesa is the OpenGL driver https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesa_(computer_graphics).

gld59
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Update Manager and the Kernel confusion

Post by gld59 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:30 am

Mr_Reed wrote:Is the default kernel in 18.3 already patched for the meltdown and spectre or not? That's what is confusing me, because I don't understand why a brand new installation of 18.3 requires a new kernel already.
18.3 was released around late November (Cinnamon/MATE) and mid December (xfce/KDE). The intended disclosure date for Meltdown & Spectre was January 09, and Ubuntu (who produce the kernels and many other packages used in Mint) barely made that date with Meltdown fixes. It's a bit hard to have something which may appear this week (?) available last month.

Moem
Level 13
Level 13

Re: More Kernel confusion

Post by Moem » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:45 am

Mod note:
Split off from a different thread.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”