Enter password, wont login

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
czeekaj
Level 1
Level 1

Enter password, wont login

Post by czeekaj »

I was having trouble logging in.. Not sure what was going on. If I enter wrong user or password, it will tell me wrong password. However if I log in as root I can get in. So I made a new account, changed the old ones password just to make sure. Still can't log into the sudo account. It will go black for second than take me back to lock screen. The new account logs in fine, but I think I should remove the old sudo user than I take it?

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Enter password, wont login

Post by minitux »

Log in with the new user, and if You have data to Save from the old user, give the ownership of the old home to the new user

Code: Select all

sudo chown -R newusername:newusername /home/oldusername
and Save the data in your new user /home.

Then remove the old user

sudo deluser oldusername
and his /home

sudo rm -r /home/oldusername

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Enter password, wont login

Post by Termy »

The "sudo account" isn't a thing, AFAIK. If you mean logging into the root account (not via sudo) using whichever Display Manager (AKA: Login Manager) you're using, then you do not want to do that at all, and is in-fact not even possible (by default) in Linux Mint (as in Ubuntu), due to security reasons; this is done by deleting (or locking?) the root password, effectively (but not actually completely) disallowing direct use of the root account.

By the way, sudo deluser --remove-home oldusername is a thing, too; makes things a lil quicker. ;) There's also --remove-all-files, but it's much more aggressive and probably not desired.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Return to “Newbie Questions”