? format Hdd Linux compatible with win10

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
klingklang

? format Hdd Linux compatible with win10

Post by klingklang »

I want to bring Hdd in office computer (win10) to home (linux mint18.3) and keep data on. My plan is to copy the data on another drive in the tower, format the hdd to be ready for linux, copy back the data on the newly formated drive, remove it from the tower and bring it home system permanently. how, I have free easeUs partition tool on the windows computer if it help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: ? format Hdd Linux compatible with win10

Post by austin.texas »

You will need to boot the office computer with a live Mint USB drive.
Windows is not capable of creating a linux file system on the hard drive.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
lonestar144
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lonestar144 »

If you want to use it as just data storage, you can format it as NTFS, that way both linux and Windows can read/write to the drive.
Seadreamer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Seadreamer »

Linux can read most file systems used by Windows. Just copy the data to another drive formatted to NTFS or FAT32. All of my data disks are formatted to NTFS and I have never had a problem reading or writing them with Linux.

Linux will format a disk to almost any file system using gparted.
Homebrew Intel i7/13700 64gb RAM
LinuxMint 21.2 Cinnamon
Win 10 for games

Return to “Beginner Questions”