How to use Driver Manager without internet [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

How to use Driver Manager without internet [Solved]

Post by puddleglum »

How can I bring up the Driver Manager without internet access on Cinnamon 18.3. I just want to bring it up to toggle the existing drivers, not download updates in the intervening half hour.

My intel wifi got messed up with the upgrade to kernel 4.13.0-26 and disconnects after a few seconds. When I bring up the Driver Manager it complains about no internet and refuses to show me the existing drivers that are already installed there. It says no drivers in use and to use the install disk, but I want to toggle the existing drivers not install old ones off the disk.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to use Driver Manager without internet

Post by Dave B »

Hi puddleglum, C. S. Lewis fan? :)

Driver Manager only needs the Linux Mint installation media while offline to show currently installed drivers, it won't install older drivers unless you tell it too.

Unless you've removed the older kernels, when you restart your computer you can keep tapping the left Shift key to bring up the GRUB menu, from there look in advanced options and select the older kernel to boot. This will hopefully get your WiFi working again so you can either...
A) download an updated WiFi driver, restart the computer so kernel 4.13.0-26 is loaded again.
or
B) install the latest 4.4 kernel (currently 4.4.0-109) and check if the WiFi works.

Tip: If you install the 4.4.0-109 kernel you'll need to select this from the GRUB screen advanced options since only the most recent kernel revision number is loaded. If decide to keep that kernel, other kernels can be removed using Update Manager -> View -> Linux kernels.
puddleglum
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to use Driver Manager without internet

Post by puddleglum »

Thanks for the info, Dave. That did the trick. I was able to boot into the old kernel and access the Driver Manager from there. Turns out I had bigger problems with the video driver. NVIDIA-304 won't run with the 4.13.0-26 kernel and nouveau would freeze my display at times. I ended up installing the 4.4.0-109 kernel and everything is back to normal.

P.S.
Yes, C.S. Lewis is a great author and I especially liked Tom Baker's portrayal of Puddleglum in his PBS performance of The Silver Chair.
Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How to use Driver Manager without internet [Solved]

Post by Dave B »

Great! You're welcome!

First time read your username I pictured Tom Baker as Puddleglum. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”