Reset Root Password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Legandary
Level 1
Level 1

Reset Root Password

Post by Legandary »

I got an HP Mini 1000 with Mint 7 Gloria, kernel 2.6.28-11 installed on it (I guess).
Upon start up the screen prompts a message

/dev/sda1: unexpected inconsistency; run fsck manually.
(i.e., without -a or 3-36769B options
fsck died with exit status
Checking drive /dev/sda1: 22% (stage 1/5, 38/117)

An automatic file system chech (fsck) of the root file system failed. A manual fsck must be performed, then the system restarted. The fsck should be performed in maintenance mode with the root file system mounted in read-only mode. The root file system is currently mounted in read-only mode. A maintenance shell will now be started. After performing system maintenance, press control - D 2 terminate the maintenance shell and restart the system. Give root password for maintenance.

Long story short is this laptop was given to me by a friend who didn't have access to the system. All I want to do is get into the system so I can uninstall this software and install Windows operating system on this device. How can I do that?

minitux
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Reset Root Password

Post by minitux »

if you want install windows the password and the acces to mint is not needed, boot as first device from bios the cd/dvd of windows and install it using all the HD

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I'm pretty sure I have never installed Windows over Linux - why would anybody want to? - but to install Linux over Windows, you just tell the installer to take over the entire drive. You can't do that from the Windows installer?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Windows and the Windows installer cannot make any sense out of a Linux partition, so no password for Mint can be of any interest. Remove the Linux partition or let the Windows installer do this job and all Linux and Linux passwords are history.

Legandary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Legandary »

HP Mini 1000 specifications:
Intel Atom 1.6GHz processor
60GB 4200 RPM PATA Hard Drive
1GB of DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
Windows XP Home operating system
10.2″ WSVGA LED-Backlit 1024 x 600 LCD
Ports: 2 USB 2.0, 1 VGA monitor out, headphone/mic jack, SD card reader (SDHC compatible), Ethernet 10/100

It has no CD/DVD drive! This laptop is old lol!
minitux wrote:if you want install windows the password and the acces to mint is not needed, boot as first device from bios the cd/dvd of windows and install it using all the HD

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Will it boot from a USB stick? I assume it must. So, you will need a bootable USB with the Windows installer on it, I would think.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

:roll: In the first post the computer had Mint 7 installed, now you say W XP (where no root password can ever exist). :roll:

With 1 GB RAM there will be no much fun with current Mints.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Cosmo. wrote:In the first post the computer had Mint 7 installed, now you say W XP
That's probably the manufacturers specs on it.

It will be slow with only 1 GB of RAM, but there are people using Mint on similar computers. There are other OS choices too, like antiX, LXLE, Lubuntu, LinuxLite, and others. I have a computer here that came with Win98 installed on it, and it runs surprisingly well on antiX.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Well, the OP is saying they want to install Windows on it, not Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Legandary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Legandary »

Yes I posted the original specifications. Sorry about that lol. To be honest I don't even know how I would get a Windows OS on a usb stick. Guess I'll Google how to install an operating system on this old junker.
Cosmo. wrote::roll: In the first post the computer had Mint 7 installed, now you say W XP (where no root password can ever exist). :roll:

With 1 GB RAM there will be no much fun with current Mints.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Legandary, I'll be honest here: Windows-wise, the only thing you'll be able to run on that (if you can manage it) is XP. Are you sure that's worth your time? If you're game, we can point you to some Linux distros that can run on that machine and actually be usable.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Legandary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Legandary »

Sure I would just like to have a usable computer. Basically all I need it for is word documents and scanning documents into the device for work and some music and internet browsing.
If I wanted to get into this device with the exhisting mint how would I go about that without having the root password?

Return to “Newbie Questions”