Cloning my drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Cloning my drive

Post by ICIT2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:58 am

I am running Mint Cinnamon 18.3 and want to clone the drive. Now I have searched around and found about four methods all of which look quite complicated - the dd method looks to me to be the one that would be the method to use but I am rather concerned with all the dire warnings about using it ie one typo wrong and I could lose the whole lot. The best video on doing it this way the authour used a Virtual Box and I find it very frustrating that individuals use VB's for demonstration purpose because to me it is a no risk way of said demonstration.

The other method was to use Clonezilla and again I have read that it is of very little use so just what do I do.

I am enjoying coming over to Linux but find the lack of simple ways of say cloning a drive in itself very frustrating as I used to use cloning a lot when I was with Windows for backing up installs etc

So is there any simple and more importantly a safe way to clone a drive??
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it limits - Einstein

catweazel
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Cloning my drive

Post by catweazel » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:06 am

ICIT2 wrote:The other method was to use Clonezilla and again I have read that it is of very little use so just what do I do.
Clonezilla is perfect for drive cloning, and it's saved my bacon time and time again. I'd like to see the reference that told you it was of little use.
There are no silly questions, but there are silly answers.

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ICIT2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:48 am

Thanks Catweazel mate but I have just tried it and all I could gte up was a succession of screens with commands I had no hope of understanding so either I am just dumb or am doing something wrong.

I downloaded the ISO and burnt it to a disk using brasero set the BIOS and it like i said went through a whole lot of DOS like screens there was no GUI that I could recognise or understand so have I dome it the right way.

By he by it did list the drives but as for knowing what to do with them I have no idea. I was rather hoping it would be a bit like the Macrium Reflect I used to use in Windows where one just set the clone to copy the C: drive to the unallocated dsik I had inserted.

Now I don't know what to do because it is a function as I said before I use a lot or rather use to use a lot in Windows to save my sanity as you say Clonezilla has saved yours.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it limits - Einstein

catweazel
Level 16
Level 16

Post by catweazel » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:01 am

It takes a little getting used to, but once you do it's fairly straightforward. The text interface can be intimidating for Windwoes users but it is actually intuitive. Give these a try:

http://www.geekyprojects.com/cloning/ho ... -tutorial/
https://www.tecmint.com/linux-centos-ub ... lonezilla/
http://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-con ... disk_image
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS6VhLDw-io
There are no silly questions, but there are silly answers.

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ICIT2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks mate I will give those a whirl and yes you were right all the text threw me because I had no idea of what it all meant apart from Googling a lot of them and that would have taken ages.

Anyway thanks again I will try because it is most important function (cloning) for me.

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 pm

Yeah, CloneZilla is an amazing little program. It seems to be a sort of front-end to other programs behind the scenes, like partimage or something, and I think it makes use of dd, too. It's awesome. I've used it a lot, without a single issue, for the last year and a half or so. It also doubles as a handy troubleshooting platform, because you can access the terminal and what-not.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:24 pm

Hurray for Clonezilla :D Fast and efficient!
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

bob466
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bob466 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 pm

ICIT2 wrote:I am running Mint Cinnamon 18.3 and want to clone the drive.
You do realize that you can Clone your HD (Hard Drive) using Macrium in Linux too...all you need is the Rescue Disk.

I've used Macrium to Clone a spare HD in Windoze for years...a few years back I discovered that a System Image had more advantages...one being...you don't need a spare HD.

With Linux Mint I can create a System Image and store it on an External HD...just in case something goes wrong...the worst being HD failure. Then I discovered I can Re-Image a HD on another computer...Image from Desktop to Laptop...as long as Laptop HD is the same size or bigger and both are 64bit...something you can't do in Windoze.

I've just upgraded Cinnamon 18.2 to 18.3 and the very first thing I did was to create a System Image because you never know what could happen. Not long ago I accidentally wiped my HD doing something stupid...Re-imaged the HD and was up and running in 15 mins...how good is that. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ICIT2 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:27 pm

No I didn't know Bob I shall have to look at it too and if it is alternative that suits me I can use both if I have to thanks for the reply mate.

Yes I do or did images of Windows too mate but I found that having the spare drive with a ready to go clean install a bit easier and just retrieve the data not that there is ever that much form the image drive usually an external. Look thee is so much more to learn in any case as I have only been with Linux now for a couple of months converting all my machines to either Linux or dual boot machines.

But thanks to all again for the heads up :)

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ICIT2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:04 am

Hmm Bob have just tried making a Macrium CD but I am not getting the option for Linux on the rescue media so I am wondering if this is only available on the paid for version of Macrium Reflect?? I have downloaded the Mcrium to one of the Linux machines bt I cannot see how to oepn it and in any case the window has the Windows logo in it so I might have to go with the Clonezilla.

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ICIT2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:05 am

Ok have got the gist of Clonezilla as I couldn't make anything out of Macrium anyway and my only problem was that the drive to be cloned was larger than the drive to get the clone. So I am going to leave the cloning for the time being at least I know it can be done. I might just make myself a clean install of Mint and update it etc so I can just swap it in if the larger drive gos south doubtful but I suppose possible.

I have often thought though that any cloning software should just clone what is on any drive to another regardless if the original drive is large or not and just clone what is on the original drive but I suppose we are dealing with a machine after all.

Many thanks to all of you who have chipped in to help I do appreciate everyone's time and patience with my problem.
John :)

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:13 am

I use GParted. I create a new partition that is larger than the one I want to copy, and then have GParted copy the old partition into the new one. If it's to a new drive and to be bootable, then I use Boot Repair on it from a LIVE DVD or LIVE USB. Boot Repair can be installed to LIVE DVD while it's running and used, then of course like all installs to a LIVE DVD, when the computer is rebooted, it disappears. Just keep a .deb file of Boot Repair available for that, or install to a USB LIVE with persistence, which will keep it for next use.
Last edited by Spearmint2 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

bob466
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bob466 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:34 am

ICIT2 wrote:Hmm Bob have just tried making a Macrium CD but I am not getting the option for Linux on the rescue media so I am wondering if this is only available on the paid for version of Macrium Reflect?? I have downloaded the Mcrium to one of the Linux machines bt I cannot see how to oepn it and in any case the window has the Windows logo in it so I might have to go with the Clonezilla.
There is no Linux option because the software doesn't run in Linux but the Rescue Disk does...download Macrium Reflect Free to a Windoze machine from here...https://filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/ and Create a Rescue Disk...then use it the same as you would in Windoze.

To Clone...Boot to Rescue Disk...select...Disk Image (top left)...select...Clone This Disk...Source is your HD...then select...Destination...which is your empty HD...then go from there...just like you would in Windoze.

To create a System Image...plug in your External HD and create a Folder and name it...ie Mint Backup 18.3...Boot to the Disk...select Backup...Image Selected Disks...Source (first HD listed)...Destination...select External HD then your Folder then go from there...just like you would in Windoze. When creating a System Image always click...Advanced Options...click...Auto Verify Image and tick Verify Image...this checks the Image to make sure it's good...then Ok and Finish...it's that easy.

ICIT2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ICIT2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Ok have tried twice now with Clonezilla and formatted the drive to be cloned to FAT32 and also left it unallocated as there were no instructions to do anything in particular with the drive before I began.

Now the process went through on the FAT32 set up and to some low % on the unallocated drive but on trying to boot to the cloned drive I get some sort of start up sequence that ends with a message as in the pic so I have no idea of what os going on surely this shouldn't be this difficult to do.

Any ideas on what is wrong or if I am not doing something right please??
Ok the pic is too big apparently but the wording goes

"Busy Box v1.22.1 (Ubuntu 1.1.22.0-15Ubuntu1) built in shell (ash)
Enter help for a list of built in commands commands.
(initramfs)" followed by a flashing cursor

The other annoying thing is the pic that would not load is only 272Kbs

So can anyone let me know what on earth to do because it is getting very frustrating finding anything to work at a level that has some sort of GUI that is easy to follow.

Spearmint2
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Spearmint2 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:20 pm

Why does FAT32 come into this at all? Cinnamon 18.3 should be on an EXT4 partition. FAT32 strips off ownership and permissions.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

bob466
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bob466 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:03 am

ICIT2 wrote:
So can anyone let me know what on earth to do because it is getting very frustrating finding anything to work at a level that has some sort of GUI that is easy to follow.
Had you followed my Macrium instructions...you wouldn't be having any problems as I have done this many times before...but you chose not to.

If you have used Macrium previously...you would know that no Formatting of the HD is necessary whether it be a Clone or System Image to a new or used HD. As a matter of fact...the last OS...where you had to manually Format the HD before installing the OS was Windoze 98.

SyncroScales
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SyncroScales » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:53 am

What is the likelyhood of taking an image and applying it to another machine? I read above that it has to be 64-bit and the same size or larger for the image/clone to fit properly.

Windows usually did not allow this because of drivers and stuff. Waht are things to look out for? It would be nice to make an updated Linux distro and just apply it to multiple types of machines and machines with different hardware.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:40 am

SyncroScales wrote:What is the likelyhood of taking an image and applying it to another machine? I read above that it has to be 64-bit and the same size or larger for the image/clone to fit properly.

Windows usually did not allow this because of drivers and stuff. Waht are things to look out for? It would be nice to make an updated Linux distro and just apply it to multiple types of machines and machines with different hardware.
This is done very regularly, especially in a business setting. Linux handles all of this differently to Windows. The kernel itself is full of drivers for things, with the ability to add drivers per packages like that which is used for the intel-microcode. Also, yeah, the target drive must be able to actually fit the contents of the backup. Whether the system is 32-bit or 64-bit is irrelevant to whether the backup will go on over to the target drive; the real concern there is whether it'll even work in the system. A 32-bit backup should (in most cases, I'd wager) work on 64-bit hardware, but the contrary does is not the case.

You may run into issues if you're using certain kernel modules in a certain machine, but it's usually easy enough to recover from that, via chrooting (see man chroot) in or using the recovery mode or something.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Pierre
Level 17
Level 17

Post by Pierre » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:59 am

bob466 wrote: There is no Linux option because the software doesn't run in Linux but the Rescue Disk does...download Macrium Reflect Free to a Windoze machine from here...https://filehippo.com/download_macrium_reflect/ and Create a Rescue Disk...then use it the same as you would in Windoze.
To create that Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk:
https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/displ ... scue+media
but - - you do have Create that Rescue Disk in a Windows Environment . .

it's just as easy to use Gparted to clone any Partition, from HDD1 to HDD2,
and I've done that myself, as well.

ie: I've re-created any entirely new HDD2 by copying the required partitions onto HDD2,
and then Installed another Linux System, rather than trying to set up the boot loader, from an Live Disk,
- mainly because, that was easier to achieve, more than any other way,

you can also use CloneZilla to copy the whole HDD1 to HDD2 as well:
http://www.clonezilla.org/downloads.php
and
https://www.howtoforge.com/back-up-rest ... zilla-live
gives an idea of how to achieve that cloning.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:58 am

I know that "Disks" in "Accessories" give you the possibility to create partition and/or disk image. But Is it a viable option to use disk.? I have used Clonezilla in the past and found it efficient and fast. With Disks the imaging process seemed very slow. I wondered if it was a particular case or "Disks" just has limited capability in general?
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

Return to “Newbie Questions”