Remote access to other computers from the one I am using? [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Remote access to other computers from the one I am using? [SOLVED]

Post by SyncroScales »

Hello,

I was wondering how I can remotely access computers from the one I am using. This is for trouble shooting and installing or upgrading the other person's computer. This is doing IT.

E.G.: When needed someone from the ISP can remotely log-in with a program like Log|MeIn https://www.logmein.com/

Linux differs from Windows OS's. Is it still setting up a Network, giving permissions, doing system admin stuff? What are the programs to use in Linux? Not Kali Linux or one of those similar OS's.

Can I remotely access my laptop or desktop with a phone or tablet? I assume the computers need to be on. Is it better to have the physical access to the machines if a client needs work done? How easy is it for software not to update remotely and then you are locked out?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Remote access to other computers from the one I am using?

Post by tovian »

I use TeamViewer (on Linux and Windows) to remotely log in and work on my client computers.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

tovian wrote:I use TeamViewer (on Linux and Windows) to remotely log in and work on my client computers.
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/linux/
+1.

that's exactly what I'm doing, as well - - generally to the World of Windows,
but, the same way that TV is installed on this LinuxMint machine - would work to any other Linux machine.

you can also access from a Smart Phone or a Tablet, as well - - mine is a Lenovo Laptop.

the program does not seem to Auto-Update itself, at least from what I've seen.

you generally don't get Locked out - - if the Remote restarts,,
- then the TV - At Both Ends - - will auto re-connect ok.
done this , myself, and it works just fine - - ie: you updated something at the Remote & then force it to Reboot .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

Pierre and tovian thank you for the information.

But if shut-down is pressed by accident or the power is out, then the remote client will not respond. But some computers can be turned on when they are off? Or is this a sleep mode? Motherboards can have instant on with the ethernet, router or internet device it seems.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

In my case... if the remote computer is off then my client is not there, and I shouldn't be in his/her computer when the client is not present.

TV does have a feature where the remote computer can remain connected to the server - waiting for a connection. But, I view that as an insecure environment that would put whoever does it at greater risk.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"

Animal House
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I also use TeamViewer. There are other programs for remote access; I use TightVNC to access my RaspberryPi remotely. There is also SSH, secure shell, which will give you command line access. TeamViewer is probably the easiest to use.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

SyncroScales wrote:Pierre and tovian thank you for the information.

But if shut-down is pressed by accident or the power is out, then the remote client will not respond. But some computers can be turned on when they are off? Or is this a sleep mode? Motherboards can have instant on with the ethernet, router or internet device it seems.
then the client should have WOL turned on in his BIOS, but I don't allow that on my computer and think others shouldn't either.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Spearmint2 wrote:the client should have WOL turned on in his BIOS, I don't allow that on my computer and think others shouldn't either.
+1
I have made sure that feature is off for every computer I've ever owned or worked on.
If the remote computer is off take a break... sip a Scotch :D

Animal House
SyncroScales
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SyncroScales »

How easy is for someone to access my computer or the clients if I leave my laptop somewhere or someone is using my desktop? It seems there is a need for the password and an authentication from the clients computer? This is a reason to leave the connection to the server off or have it shuf off periodically?

Can a person use TeamViewer with one OS to access another OS that is different? Does it have to be Linux and Linux? Linux and Windows XP - Win10 or a Mac?

It seems I can use a tablet or my phone to also access a clients computer? Tablets and phones usually have other OS's and a different setup?
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

I frequently use TV on my Linux Mint box to connect to clients running Windows. TV is OS independent - the program does what you need it to do.

If you leave your computer somewhere and IT is not secured (passwords, timeouts, etc.) then, if it is connected to a remote computer, that computer could be in trouble if a bad-guy gets hold of your computer.

If you use TV on a "session" basis then you need a password for the remote computer every time a session (connection to that remote computer) is established (but the nine-digit ID of the remote computer stays the same). If you set up TV so the remote computer remains connected to the TV server (waiting for you to connect) then you have a "permanent" password that can be reused every time you need to connect to that computer. That, IMHO, is far less secure and far more "hackable". I have never used this feature, and it would take a special circumstance (major weekend/off-hours task) for me to even consider working this way because I feel it puts my client at risk.

Now, if I'm operating under the wrong information, I hope someone will correct me right here in this thread.

Animal House

Return to “Beginner Questions”