[SOLVED] Deleting windows - backing up for formatting drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mm1992
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Deleting windows - backing up for formatting drive

Post by mm1992 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:45 pm

So I had windows, installed mint to have both side by side, and in that time I haven't touched windows at all. Enough that I'm ready to be done with it for good - I could put that drive space to better use (like creating a partition for /home).

So right now, my drive is as follows: sdc1 - 57G windows, sdc4 62G mint, sdc2 100M boot, sdc3, 900M windows recover. Basically, this makes me think that to redo this properly, my best bet will be a full format, and creating the partitions from there.

This leads to the actual question. To do a full format and reinstall, what is going to be the most efficient way to get me back to where I'm at today, as far as installed software. Obviously I need to back up my home folder fully to save all my data and settings and that stuff. But for the packages, how do I go about getting everything I've got installed installed, and all the default programs I uninstalled removed? I found this guide: https://askubuntu.com/questions/243387/ ... -a-new-one but I ran into trouble with step 7 where it wouldn't recognize the programs, so I ended up with an install with all the default programs uninstalled, but it didn't do anything as far as the install of programs I had installed after that.

edit- solution was Aptik as mentioned in post 3 below.
Last edited by mm1992 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Deleting windows - backing up for formatting drive

Post by orschiro » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:41 am

But for the packages, how do I go about getting everything I've got installed installed, and all the default programs I uninstalled removed?
Doesn't Mint Backup have an option to backup your package list?

JerryF
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JerryF » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:54 am

I've used Aptik for that purpose. Check it out in this article:

https://www.tecmint.com/aptik-a-tool-to ... in-ubuntu/
Please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line if your problem has been solved. It helps other members.

mm1992
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mm1992 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 pm

orschiro wrote:
But for the packages, how do I go about getting everything I've got installed installed, and all the default programs I uninstalled removed?
Doesn't Mint Backup have an option to backup your package list?
Yes, it does, but for other programs I've installed that don't go through the software manager it doesn't have any option to back those up.

mm1992
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mm1992 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:11 pm

JerryF wrote:I've used Aptik for that purpose. Check it out in this article:

https://www.tecmint.com/aptik-a-tool-to ... in-ubuntu/

Perfect, thanks. It didn't remove the default programs I had removed, but it was easy peasy to get everything else installed with a few clicks, and the rest is simple to take care of.

Return to “Newbie Questions”