Is Linux 18.3 cinnamon 32bit too heavy for my dell b130?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Subie_96
Level 1
Level 1

Is Linux 18.3 cinnamon 32bit too heavy for my dell b130?

Post by Subie_96 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 pm

[Solved] I'm considering moving to xcfe. Will this be better for my Dell? I took the plunge to dual boot, originally with an xp/mint 18.2 set up. I uograded to 18.3 and also loaded windows 7. Am I crazy?
Thanks in advance for anyone's help

Dell B130 info.docx
(5.18 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Dell B130 info.docx
(5.18 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Attachments
Dell B130 info.odt
(19.2 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Last edited by Subie_96 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Is Linux 18.3 cinnamon 32bit too heavy for my dell b130?

Post by jimallyn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm

Yes, Cinnamon is too heavy for that computer. I have a laptop here with slightly better specs than that and XFCE installed on it, and I recently upgraded the RAM from 2 GB to 4GB. The RAM would fill up and the processor spent all its time moving things back and forth from swap. If you want to do anything besides just run the operating system, you will want a lighter OS that will leave some RAM and processor time for your applications.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Subie_96
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Subie_96 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:38 pm

Thank you jimallyn. I'm beggining to see some problems that might be due to cinnamon being too much. Sluggish performance, video choppiness when it was fine before update etc... Other than that I'm really impressed by how 18.3 cinnamon still works. I'm going xcfe as soon as I can. How do I mark this solved?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:47 pm

Click on the pencil icon on your first post to edit it, and add [SOLVED] to the Subject line.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Hoser Rob
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Hoser Rob » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:26 am

Definitely install the Xfce version ... don't just install Xfce, that'll likely just break things.

And when you do, turn off all desktop compositing/eye candy. You have no 3D hardware video acceleration at all, indicated by the line that says more or less "OpenGL renderer llvmpipe". And unfortunately there aren't any Linux drivers that would provide it.

RobertService
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RobertService » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:53 am

@ Subie_96

The easy stuff--
Your machine can be upgraded to 2 GB, and has a 32-bit Celeron CPU and 40GB, 2006-vintage hdd.

Mint 17.3 Xfce is lighter than 18.2 Xfce (1.3 GB vs. 1.7 GB), and was declared to be the best Linux distro of all, going into 2017 (not the best Xfce distro, but THE BEST Linux distribution, period. It is still, today, one of the best Linux distributions available). Mint 18.2 has not received similar accolades, and--again--is 'heavier'. "Newer" does not necessarily mean 'better"; take the time to read the reviews.

1. Upgrade your RAM to the max: 2 GB.
2. Install LM 17.3 Xfce, 32-bit.
3. Wait to see if these work for you, then get an extended battery upgrade if it's not too expensive--it's an easy improvement also, and probably needed anyway. Because of the improvements in battery technology (since 2006), even a 'standard' new battery will usually provide a (sometimes much) bigger improvement than the original.

(My intent was to list the 'easy stuff'. That's why you don't see, "...add an SSD..."; or "...you can get a dynamite CPU upgrade from Amaz*n for only $2.99..." (you really can!); or, "...add a new HDD, and get rid of that 2006 power hog...". Do the easy stuff--no struggling, and with the potential for making you feel really good about yourself for only a little cash outlay. THE most important thing?--have fun!)
Just one person's opinion.

Warmest regards...

Subie_96
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Subie_96 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:41 pm

Thank you to all who have replied. I'm having a lot of fun with this old laptop, experimenting with its capabilities and limitations. I currently have 2G of ram. As you can see I'm pushing the limits imho with windows 7 on an xp designed machine. I suspected something was wrong when windows 7 ran faster than mint. I have been dabbling with Linux for a long time with first live cd's, then dvd's so I'm already having fun again with computers. At first, I was hesitant to join the forum, I lurked for quite a while and finally decided to join, and then to post. Thanks for making this first experience a great one.

Return to “Newbie Questions”