'~' location & file system question - virtual machine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

'~' location & file system question - virtual machine

Post by markfilipak »

Hello penguins!

I just read that putting '/' and '~' on different drives is not only possible, it's preferable.

Can '~' be a shared directory between a Mint Guest and a Win-7 Host? Can '~' be resident on the Host? Can the file system be NTFS?

Thanks!

Mark.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: '~' location & file system question - virtual machine

Post by catweazel »

markfilipak wrote:Can '~' be a shared directory between a Mint Guest and a Win-7 Host? Can '~' be resident on the Host? Can the file system be NTFS?
Yes, yes and yes. You will need to use what's called a hard link if you plan to move your home location but it is fraught with potential issues. If you're not too familiar with linux, a backup is recommended, followed by a reinstall using the 'something else' option. You create a / and a home partition in the installer and set the mount points accordingly.

The only issue with using an NTFS partition is that you'll lose the ability to manage linux permissions on your files.

The better option might be to make some room for a shared partition, format it as NTFS and use it to transfer files between your two OSen.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
markfilipak
Level 6
Level 6

Post by markfilipak »

catweazel wrote:
markfilipak wrote:Can '~' be a shared directory between a Mint Guest and a Win-7 Host? Can '~' be resident on the Host? Can the file system be NTFS?
Yes, yes and yes. You will need to use what's called a hard link if you plan to move your home location but it is fraught with potential issues. If you're not too familiar with linux, a backup is recommended, followed by a reinstall using the 'something else' option. You create a / and a home partition in the installer and set the mount points accordingly.

The only issue with using an NTFS partition is that you'll lose the ability to manage linux permissions on your files.
That doesn't sound too good.
The better option might be to make some room for a shared partition, format it as NTFS and use it to transfer files between your two OSen.
That is what I already have. To wit:

'/media/sf_Data/' <==> 'C:\Data\'.

But backing up 'C:\Data\' doesn't back up '/home/mark/'. I can create more shared directories, as needed.

Basically, I want to put '/home/mark/' on a drive that I can back up. Right now, if something in MInt goes south, I don't have any way to recover. Most of what I want, I put into '/media/sf_Data/' and use a Windows-based backup to maintain a backup copy. That even works for my email:

'/media/sf_Data/email/0ysydkep.default' <==> 'C:\Data\email\0ysydkep.default',

but I have not discovered a way to put my Pale Moon profile in 'sf_Data'. My Pale Moon profile is here:

'/home/mark/.moonchild productions/pale moon/1oyhyp4u.default'.

The developer of Pale Moon says that my profile can't be moved elsewhere. I thought I could do it with a hard link that redirected to somewhere in 'sf_Data', but I haven't figured out how to create a hard link ... Nemo doesn't help with that, I guess. I just carry on and hold my breath.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

markfilipak wrote:I haven't figured out how to create a hard link ...
type man ln in a terminal.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”