[Solved] How to prevent devices show up in nemo sidebar

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nocom

[Solved] How to prevent devices show up in nemo sidebar

Post by nocom »

I have a dual boot installation in which the windows partitions are automatically mount by mint or nemo. I don't want this as I am sure I will make a blunder with this some time. How can I prevent that the windows mounts do show up in nemo and better, are (auto)mounted at all?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to prevent devices show up in nemo sidebar

Post by Cosmo. »

Partition get only automounted, if you have created entries for them the file /etc/fstab. Remove the respective lines or set a # at the beginning of those lines (that comments them out).
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Just so I understand the nature of the problem tell me if I got this right: You open up Nemo and on the side panel are your Windows partitions. You click on it and you can access those partitions.

If I got that right then your partitions are not being automounted. The entries on the side panel are actionable links to those partitions. Click on it and they mount and then display the contents of those partitions.

One way to prevent that from happening is actually to add entires into /etc/fstab. For Example:

[1] Create a mount point for your Windows C "drive":

Code: Select all

sudo mkdir /mnt/WinC
[2] Find the UUID number for this partition by running this command:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null
[3] Then add this to the end /etc/fstab:

UUID=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx /mnt/WinC ntfs defaults,umask=077,noauto 0 0
Change xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx to the UUID number you found in step [2].

/mnt/WinC = Anything mounted under /media or your home directory show up on the side panel of Nemo. Mount it somewhere else and it will not.
noauto = prevents the partition from mounting at boot.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
nocom

Post by nocom »

@altair4, thanks very much for the explanation as to what is happening. You got it all right. And your solution works as well!

Return to “Beginner Questions”