PS3 controller mouse mint 18.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gaboalonso
Level 1
Level 1

PS3 controller mouse mint 18.3

Post by gaboalonso »

Hi all,

when I upgraded to linux mint 18.3, my PS3 controller (over usb) started acting as a unstable mouse and no longer work on my emulators.

How can I fix this?

Regards,
Gabe.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Re: PS3 controller mouse mint 18.3

Post by Termy »

Are you still having this problem? If so, I'd suggest trying different kernel versions. Load up mintupdate (Update Manager) and click the "view" menu item, then click "Linux Kernels".

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep "sony"
Run that command in a terminal and see if you see something like this:

sony 0003:054C:0268.0003: can't set operational mode
sony: probe of 0003:054C:0268.0003 failed with error -38
I'm getting this information from a now outdated web page, but it could help you. As I suspected, it could be down to the kernel version, which will have been very much upgraded in Mint 18.3. Do you recall which kernel version you used prior to Mint 18.3?

I also assume you have the xboxdrv package installed, which for some reason also allows the PS3 controller to work, or at least it did. I can't find any such Sony driver in the standard repositories. I have a wired PS3 controller myself, but I've yet to try it on the PC; maybe I should. lol
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
gaboalonso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gaboalonso »

Thanks, Termy.

I do recall installing a bunch of stuff on previous installations to make the ps3 controller work (xboxdrv, jstest, xorg input something, etc.) but I've removed all of them Or so I assume.

here is the output of dmesg:

$ dmesg | grep "sony"
[77180.773782] sony 0003:054C:0268.0003: input,hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v81.11 Joystick [Sony PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1/input0
[77592.978330] sony 0003:054C:0268.0004: input,hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v81.11 Joystick [Sony PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1/input0
[77792.822618] sony 0003:054C:0268.0005: input,hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v81.11 Joystick [Sony PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1/input0
[78732.481776] sony 0003:054C:0268.0007: input,hiddev0,hidraw2: USB HID v81.11 Joystick [Sony PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller] on usb-0000:00:14.0-1/input0

Can't remember my latest kernel version. I'm running now 4.13-026, ¿what's yours?
I'm planning as a last resort to do a new clean install of 18.3, but on the one side it might be a mess since I'm running a dual boot system, and on the other, if it actually is a kernel issue, it won't change anything, as it will probably install the latest one.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks for the help,
Gabriel.
gaboalonso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gaboalonso »

Tried installing older kernels, they won't install. No message or anything, but after reboot and running uname the kernel is the same. Tried several times with different random versions.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Okay, install xboxdrv again, and whatever else is needed to get it working, as it may just be that. Guessing it's not a kernel issue. (although them installing is worrying, but that's another thing) When you find out what's needed to get the PS3 controller working, save that info somewhere. lol
gaboalonso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gaboalonso »

No luck.

This is going to sound odd, but what I want firs to do is to stop the controller from working. As a mouse, that is.

Reinstalled, uninstalled. nothing seem to work, linux mint 18.3 loves the controller as a mouse, but I don't.
I'll try the clean install tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

You're welcome. Sorry I couldn't solve the issue for you. I suppose it could still be a kernel issue, as it may be that the kernel is picking it up as some sort of mouse (which certainly seems to be the case lol). Maybe a clean install would be a good idea; an easy fix, albeit a lazy one. :P Let me know how it goes. By the way, random thought, but could it be that the controller is messed up? Are you able to try another? Just in-case.
c_mcnickle

Post by c_mcnickle »

I have the same issue. I have just installed Mint 18.3 on a new machine and have not installed any additional drivers for PS3 support. As soon as I plug the controller in it starts to act like a Mouse. Where you able to solve your issue and if so did you install additional drivers to get it to work?
gaboalonso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gaboalonso »

Hi. After doing a lot of stuff, ended up messing my mint install. So I have now a fresh Mint 18.3 install.

The controller is not working as a mouse anymore (which is good). I understand it had to do with an old touchpad driver (so I've read somewhere), are you still having this issue on a fresh install, @c_mcnickle?

On the other side I've read that the ps3 controller over usb should be working out of the box for Mint 18.3, and it kind of is. Installed jstest-gtk and it sure does picks it up with no problem. However none of my emulators find it.

I'm not sure if I should install the previous software I had (e.g. xboxdrv) so I don't mess up things again and conflict with new drivers, so I was wondering If anyone had any experience with a fresh Mint 18.3 install.

Thanks and regards,
Gabriel.
Topken

Post by Topken »

I am having this exact issue and my DS3 works perfect in both Windows and on the Playstation 3 itself but not linux. it basically gets picked up as pad 2 on both usb and bluetooth and the left stick acts like a mouse which screws up my real mouse as rest potion for the stick is center of my screen and thus doesn't allow for movement of my real mouse. I may be stuck using an old Logitech Dual Action USB controller but I would rather use a wireless controller on here since this is a laptop
Qf0007

Post by Qf0007 »

I had this same problem in mint 18.3. What I did to fix it was xinput to find the name of the device. Then (In this case) xinput disable "Sony PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller"

Hopefully this fixes your problem

Return to “Beginner Questions”