Moving mdadm array to new case, any concerns?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gene0915
Level 4
Level 4

Moving mdadm array to new case, any concerns?

Post by gene0915 »

Getting ready to move my 8 drive mdadm RAID 6 array to a new case. The old case has the 8 drives hooked up to an LSI 9207-8i (HBA) with reverse breakout cables. The new case has a SFF-8087 connector for each back plane and those back planes will feed into an Intel SAS expander and that expander, into the LSI HBA card (all with SFF-8087 male to SFF-8087 male) cables.

To get my array back up and running, I'm assuming I just issue the following command:

mdadm -assemble --scan ...... but I'm cloudy on how I make it assemble on every boot? .... sudo update-initramfs -u???

Here is the pertinent line from my mdadm.conf file:

ARRAY /dev/md0 metadata=1.2 name=server-pc:0 UUID=99c9ad61:911cb77d:7d7d831d:032e2eee

and fstab file:

/dev/md0 /mnt/md0 xfs defaults,nofail,discard 0 0
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Moving mdadm array to new case, any concerns?

Post by catweazel »

You shouldn't need to do anything beyond mdadm -assemble --scan but the only way to find out is to try it. It seems that the more recent releases of mdadm auto-write their configuration. At least that's what happened when I moved my 10-disk RAID 10 arrays to a new box.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Beginner Questions”