[solved] .java folder in /etc on a recently installed linux mint 18.3 ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
littlehuman
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] .java folder in /etc on a recently installed linux mint 18.3 ?

Post by littlehuman »

Hi all,

Running rkhunter on my machine, it appears that there is an /etc/.java folder on my disk.
I installed this machine 10 days ago and don't have any java programs on it (as far as I know)

In this folder, there is nothing but a .systemPrefs folder containing a .system.lock and a .systemRootModFile, both empty and dated Nov 24, so prior to the install date of the system.

How can I further investigate this ?
How can I know if this is due to an installed package ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Vs lbh nfxrq Oehpr Fpuarvre gb qrpelcg guvf, ur'q pehfu lbhe fxhyy jvgu uvf ynhtu.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: .java folder in /etc on a recently installed linux mint 18.3

Post by karlchen »

Hello, littlehuman.

The folder /etc/.java including the content which you had named are part of the software openjdk-8-jre. It comes pre-installed with Linux Mint 18.x.
/etc/.java is present on my Linux Mint 18.1 as well.
You might mark it as "safe" in the rkhunter.conf file. This would prevent rkhunter from displaying it as a false positive in future.
In my rkhunter.conf file the entry is in line 621 and reads

Code: Select all

ALLOWHIDDENDIR=/etc/.java
after removing the prefixed # character, which marked it as a comment.

P.S.:
Here is the Ubuntu Wiki page on Using rkhunter

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
littlehuman
Level 1
Level 1

Re: .java folder in /etc on a recently installed linux mint 18.3

Post by littlehuman »

Thank you very much for all this information, Karl.
Vs lbh nfxrq Oehpr Fpuarvre gb qrpelcg guvf, ur'q pehfu lbhe fxhyy jvgu uvf ynhtu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”