[SOLVED] What does Gtk-WARNING mean in ~/.xsession-errors

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mr.travo
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] What does Gtk-WARNING mean in ~/.xsession-errors

Post by mr.travo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:47 pm

I was reading my ~/.xsession-errors file getting rid of the smartcard reader failure error and I noticed that I have a crap ton of these:

(nm-applet:2105): Gtk-WARNING **: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent

and

(nm-applet:2105): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_destroy: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

There are also some other messages in there. I would like to *learn* what these messages are, where they come from, and how to get them to go away.

Also- is the xsession error log a running file (updated with every bootup)?

Sorry for the newbie questions but inquiring minds want to know.... and YES I searched DDG before posting this.

Thanks!
Last edited by mr.travo on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Travo

"Sometimes i'm not the sharpest shed in the drawer"

wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Re: What does Gtk-WARNING mean in ~/.xsession-errors

Post by wallaroo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:46 am

Much of what you see in the xsession-errors file are small glitches and bugs being reported by the various applications and programs you run. In your example it's from the Network Manager Applet.

(disregard the following if you already know this)

Your Linux desktop uses the Gnome GTK gui system to render the Graphical Interface so that's why you see 'Gtk' type messages.

The 'widgets' referred to are any of a number of standard objects you see on the screen such as a button, a check-box, a drop-down list or even a whole window.

The first message likely means the code is trying to insert a widget inside another (a parent) but it's already inside some other widget.
The second message likely means the code is trying to delete a widget by name but that name does not refer to a widget.

It is up to the original authors to fix these issues and make the messages stop. Or if you are adventurous you can download the source-code and fix it on your system. These are not critical enough to crash the program, so they will probably be fixed in future releases (if the author is aware of them).

Yes, I believe the xsession-errors file gets re-initialised on each reboot.

mr.travo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mr.travo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:16 am

Awesome! Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me!

Just so I know for future use- what tells you where the error is? You knew it dealt with the network manager. How did you narrow it down to that?

Thanks so much!
-Travo

Pjotr
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pjotr » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:28 am

mr.travo wrote:Just so I know for future use- what tells you where the error is? You knew it dealt with the network manager. How did you narrow it down to that?
nm-applet is the giveaway:
https://www.google.nl/search?q=nm-apple ... 8AeryrngBw

Note that these small errors are completely harmless and can all safely be ignored. It's just that Linux is very talkative where errors are concerned, because it's originally a "developers' OS". :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wallaroo » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:31 am

No problem.

Code: Select all

(nm-applet:2105): Gtk-WARNING **: Can't set a parent on widget which has a parent
The part in brackets shows the program (or module) name.

SyncroScales
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SyncroScales » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:28 am

nm-applet is not giving any information. There is a pause, and nothing.
Desktop:ASUS M3N78-VM, AMD Phenom II 965 3.4GHz, 3.5GBRAM(4GB), XP SP3/Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, nVidia GeForce GT 430. Laptop:AMD Athlon 64 X2 DualCore 3800+ 2GHz(AMD QL-62), 3GB RAM, Vista SP2/LinuxMintCinnamon64-bit, ATI 3100.

mr.travo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mr.travo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 am

Ok, I gotcha!

Thank you all for the help and free education! :mrgreen: I enjoy learning from this system and it never ceases to amaze me how much info is tucked away in these systems (yes, that's the beauty of open source). Someday this will all be second nature to me and I hope to continue the tradition of passing along the help and info to those who desire it.

Thank you all for your help and time! :D

Marking as solved....
-Travo

Return to “Newbie Questions”