individual software upgrade

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nownuri

individual software upgrade

Post by nownuri »

How can you upgrade a software package like Okular only? I'm using Mint 18.2 KDE and the Okular here is a super old version. Unfortunately apt-get upgrade says that my Okular is the latest version. Is there a way to upgrade only one package, except to build from source code?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: individual software upgrade

Post by catweazel »

Is there something wrong with the version you're running? It was last updated for Xenial on 2016-12-16, so it isn't so old.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
nownuri

Post by nownuri »

catweazel wrote:Is there something wrong with the version you're running? It was last updated for Xenial on 2016-12-16, so it isn't so old.
The Okular that I'm using is version 0.25.0. This version should not be the one released on 2016-12-16. This Okular crashes sometimes when I scroll down pages. I reported this bug, but the Okular developers said the version is so old that they don't provide support for it. So I'm looking for a way to upgrade my Okular.
Last edited by nownuri on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Unfortunately you'll likely have to find the source and compile it because 0.25 is the version in the repos.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'm not convinced that an upgrade is the answer ... I also run 18.2 KDE and not only does Okular work fine, it's the only Linux pdf reader I've ever used that does work properly.

First I'd go into okular settings and choose less aggressive performance settings.

You should also generate some system info ... copy/paste this to the terminal and copy/paste the text output here.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

nownuri wrote:How can you upgrade a software package like Okular only? I'm using Mint 18.2 KDE and the Okular here is a super old version. Unfortunately apt-get upgrade says that my Okular is the latest version. Is there a way to upgrade only one package, except to build from source code?
To answer the question, yes, but it's not going to do what you want, regarding Okular, as upgrading packages (in bulk or individually) will still pull from the same location, which may not be the version you want. You can build from source, or look for an updated DEB online, but I really don't see any of that being worth the risks. There are many document viewers available.

Anywho, to upgrade a single package, at least via the terminal, use this command, where PKG is the package(s) you wish to upgrade:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get upgrade PKG
Or, for a potentially more impactful (see man apt-get) upgrade:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade PKG
You could also run sudo apt-get update first, to ensure you bring in the latest packages available in the repository(ies) you've chosen.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
nownuri

Post by nownuri »

Termy wrote:
nownuri wrote:How can you upgrade a software package like Okular only? I'm using Mint 18.2 KDE and the Okular here is a super old version. Unfortunately apt-get upgrade says that my Okular is the latest version. Is there a way to upgrade only one package, except to build from source code?
To answer the question, yes, but it's not going to do what you want, regarding Okular, as upgrading packages (in bulk or individually) will still pull from the same location, which may not be the version you want. You can build from source, or look for an updated DEB online, but I really don't see any of that being worth the risks. There are many document viewers available.

Anywho, to upgrade a single package, at least via the terminal, use this command, where PKG is the package(s) you wish to upgrade:

sudo apt-get upgrade PKG
Or, for a potentially more impactful (see man apt-get) upgrade:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade PKG
You could also run sudo apt-get update first, to ensure you bring in the latest packages available in the repository(ies) you've chosen.
thanks for you comment.

In my opinion Okular on Mint KDE is too old, and the repository needs to be updated. The 0.25.0 might be built for Mint 17 and then has not been updated.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Yeah, well, that's how fixed releases work. If you badly need a newer version of a particular application, try to find a PPA that contains it and hope for the best. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

What Pjotr said. You might find rolling-release distros like Solus and Manjaro more to your liking. From what I've heard, Manjaro is a very good rolling-release distro, even for less experienced users.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Beginner Questions”