Cinnamon crashes on startup, can't restart

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asfi235

Cinnamon crashes on startup, can't restart

Post by asfi235 »

Not sure what happened. Despite best intentions, I haven't been using my Mint 17.1 laptop all that much, so haven't had much opportunity for learning the basics. :(

Recently, I powered it up and I got the "Cinnamon has crashed" message. Using fallback mode isn't terribly useful, I get blank windows and such.

As suggested in another thread, I had a look at the system info with inxi -Fxzc0 but I am challenged once again -- how can I paste the output here? Plugging in a USB thumb drive just opens up another can of worms as it seems it doesn't mount.

Probably the most important parts of the inxi output are:

Machine's an Acer Aspire 7552 v1.12
Quad core AMD Phenom II X920
Graphics: AMD/ATI Madison [Mobility Radeon HD 5650/5750 / 6530M/6550M]

Root partition is 20 GB of which 5.2G is in use.

Thanks for any assistance.....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cinnamon crashes on startup, can't restart

Post by orschiro »

Recently, I powered it up and I got the "Cinnamon has crashed" message. Using fallback mode isn't terribly useful, I get blank windows and such.
Probably a problem with your AMD/ATI graphics driver. Have you already tried a different one?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/AMD

Side note: Maybe the MATE desktop is a better choice?
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

asfi235 wrote:
As suggested in another thread, I had a look at the system info with inxi -Fxzc0 but I am challenged once again -- how can I paste the output here?
Actually that is pretty easy to do.
Maximize the Terminal screen.

At the very last line, which should be where the Command Cursor stops waiting for a new command;

Place the mouse cursor at the entry point, and then move the cursor up and keep it going up until you get to the top, Left Hand side.

That will highlight all of the text that was generated.
Now, Right Click / Copy

Paste that into a Text Editor for temporary storage until you get to where you are ready to Post the results.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

asfi235 wrote:I haven't been using my Mint 17.1 laptop all that much, so haven't had much opportunity for learning the basics.

Acer Aspire 7552 v1.12
Quad core AMD Phenom II X920

Thanks for any assistance.....
Perhaps this is an opportunity an OS upgrade, and to a desktop environment more fitting for that hardware.

For something of that era, I would try LM 18.3 Xfce instead of LM 17.1 Cinnamon.

Joe
orschiro
Level 4
Level 4

Post by orschiro »

I would try LM 18.3 Xfce instead of LM 17.1 Cinnamon.
Indeed. Or 18.3 MATE.
asfi235

Post by asfi235 »

AZgl1500 wrote:
asfi235 wrote:
As suggested in another thread, I had a look at the system info with inxi -Fxzc0 but I am challenged once again -- how can I paste the output here?
Actually that is pretty easy to do.
Maximize the Terminal screen.

At the very last line, which should be where the Command Cursor stops waiting for a new command;

Place the mouse cursor at the entry point, and then move the cursor up and keep it going up until you get to the top, Left Hand side.

That will highlight all of the text that was generated.
Now, Right Click / Copy

Paste that into a Text Editor for temporary storage until you get to where you are ready to Post the results.
Or just pipe the output to a file. Yeah, that's the trivially easy part.

The tricky part is getting the file from the non-functioning Linux laptop to a different (functioning) machine that's running a web browser, when USB drives won't mount.
asfi235

Post by asfi235 »

Okay.....biting the bullet and installing 18.3 MATE.

Except that well into the process I get a dialog box with "bootloader installation failed"

None of the available options work. Whether I try to select a different install location, install without a bootloader, or cancel the installation, or even just close the window......nothing happens.

It seems my only option is to shut down and restart (and hope for better luck the second time), but will avoid doing so until I hear back from wiser minds.

ETA: moved this stage of troubleshooting to a new thread: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=262206

Return to “Beginner Questions”