[solved] How can I remove/hide firefox from startup menu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
padyakbud
Level 1
Level 1

[solved] How can I remove/hide firefox from startup menu

Post by padyakbud » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:05 am

How do I remove / hide firefox from the startup menu as show in the pic below

Setting up a linux mint unit for a staff. I dont want them surfing the internet but they need the lan access hence I was thinking the easiest was to hide firefox from the startup menu. I can still use it if needed by running it from terminal. My staff is not technical at all and pretty much windows diehards hence im sure they wont even touch the terminal program.

Any help on how I can do this is highly appreciated. TIA.

Current system using:
Linux Mint v17.3
Codename: Rosa
Package Base: Ubuntu Trusty
Last edited by padyakbud on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How can I remove/hide firefox from startup menu

Post by Termy » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 am

Looks like you're on XFCE. Try the menu editor. If you just don't care about Firefox and want it gone, you can always uninstall it. Also, see here:

https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/customize-menu

It says the LXMenuEditor also works in XFCE, meaning you can use that, which should be available in the standard repositories. There's also MenuLibre, which also works with XFCE; that web page also mentions this.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Superannuated
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Superannuated » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:42 pm

In the Menu you can right click on the Firefox icon and select "Edit properties". In the ensuing Launcher Properties box you can change the Icon, Name, Comment, and most importantly the Command. For example, you could issue the command to open a text editor. You have to restart for a Command change to take effect.

[This was tested on LM 17.3 Mate.]
------

Edit: I looked at Xfce and Termy is right that you can do everything that he and I mentioned by right clicking on the Menu icon and selecting "Edit Applications". From there you can change the name, icon, etc. Then turn on "hide from menus".

padyakbud
Level 1
Level 1

Post by padyakbud » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:37 am

@Termy and @Superannuated

Thank you to both for your comments. Exactly what I needed!

Return to “Newbie Questions”