Remote desktop on Mate 18.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sammiev

Re: Remote desktop on Mate 18.3

Post by sammiev »

Ran a headless server for a few years and thought I would try something a little different.

Done a fresh install of xfce on all clients and the server.

Installed x2go and must say it's fantastic.
homeuser

Post by homeuser »

So here is a newbie question... How did I get KDE when I downloaded the Linux Mint 18.3 Mate edition? I didn't see any options when I installed from the usb key for Mate vs KDE.

So if vino is for Gnome (and KDE is not a form of Gnome) I'm guessing it's the wrong thing to install.
Would it be better to install another desktop thats compatible with KDE or should I use another vnc server?
being a Noob I do not have any experience with ANY of the desktops so I have no preferences. Any recommendations on a direction to take?
Last edited by homeuser on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

Don't worry what it says in the terminal, focus on the settings in the pop-up window. If you're done hit 'Close'. Now start the server with

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/vino/vino-server --sm-disable &
and try to log in from the client. If you, for example, use Remmina as a viewer on the client, set up a new connection in remmina and make it look like this:
Remote.png
Obviously, change 192.168.1.60 to the lan IP of your server (you get that from the network taskbar icon's 'connection information') and enter the password you set in the pop-up window of vino-preferences on the server. The 'advanced' and 'ssh tunnel' tab you can leave empty for now (read up on ssh tunnelling, you decide if you need it)

If you can connect ok go back to your Mint Kde server open >> System Settings >> Startup and Autostart and add the 'start server' command to startup.
So if vino is for Gnome (and KDE is not a form of Gnome) I'm guessing it's the wrong thing to install.
Good point but since you've already installed vino you might as well try the above. If it doesn't work, x11vnc definitely does work on Kde. Your post is called 'Remote desktop on Mate 18.3' - I did what I can.

Good luck. I'm out.
ralplpcr
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ralplpcr »

homeuser wrote:So here is a newbie question... How did I get KDE when I downloaded the Linux Mint 18.3 Mate edition? I didn't see any options when I installed from the usb key for Mate vs KDE.
2 possibilities - either there was some problem with the website that linked the wrong distro when you downloaded, or you accidentally selected KDE instead of MATE. It's not a big deal - KDE is perfectly usable, and many prefer it to Gnome. It's all in what you like?
homeuser wrote: Would it be better to install another desktop thats compatible with Gnome or should I use another vnc server?
This is entirely up to you. Not saying you *can't* get Vino working on KDE... just that it was designed for Gnome. If you're happy enough with your current KDE installation, then no reason to reinstall.

The 2 possible solutions I mentioned earlier (Teamviewer *or* X11VNC with Remmina) will work equally well on KDE or Gnome-based distributions. I've never tried setting up Vino on KDE, so I can't speak to any problems you might encounter.

Linux is all about choice. I know that may not seem helpful, but what works for me simply may not work for you. I can't say what is "best".... just recommend options.

IMO, if you're happy with the KDE desktops you've installed, start with Teamviewer. It's easy to install & set up, and it's likely to do all you need with minimal fuss. If you choose to download/reinstall with MATE, then the Vino route may be a better choice, since it's pre-installed. If you want to avoid sending your data through a 3rd party, then X11VNC + Remmina is my preference - for either Gnome or KDE based systems.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

ralplpcr wrote:Linux is all about choice.
I no longer buy into that. It seems that one of the most basic, fundamental choices has been taken away from us. I want a plain, black font on my plain-color desktop. With 18.3 and any of the DE's I've tried that is no longer possible. In fact, a dev told me directly that this choice is no longer "theme-able" so there is little the user can do... RANT, RANT, RANT !! :x

Back to the RD problem. I must leave for a bit - I think I have better info when I return.
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
homeuser

Post by homeuser »

Ok I followed directions and installed Remmina on the laptop and it is WORKING!!!!!

Thank you all so much!

I have another computer that I can try some other desktops on but what ever happens I will know I have a working config to fall back on.
tovian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tovian »

Congrats !!

FYI: In testing earlier I had the same symptom you described initially: connect but then blank screen. I discovered that in my case I had started x11vnc (the server) without any of the (huge number of) startup options. As soon as the remote computer connected x11vnc shut itself down - and that left the remote (connecting) computer with just a blank screen. Haven't yet figured out what caused the shutdown, but there's a startup option that fixes the problem.

You just ain't gonna believe this...
X11VNC startup options......... Click Here
“I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part"
"We're just the guys to do it”

Animal House
homeuser

Post by homeuser »

Tovian,
Man thats a lot of options. It's nice to know if you have issues, there are options. My needs are pretty simple at this point so I'm a happy camper just to have it working at this point. I'll have to read up the the options prestonR suggested I use.
Again, thanks to everyone who responded and helped me find a solution with extra thanks to prestonR.

Nolan

Return to “Beginner Questions”