New dual boot mint 18.3 install

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gaboalonso
Level 1
Level 1

New dual boot mint 18.3 install

Post by gaboalonso » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:56 am

While trying to fix a controller issue, I ended up messing my Linux installation.

I want to do a fresh install, but not sure how to go about it without killing grub or my win 10 installation.

Here is how the partition looks like
https://postimg.org/image/qu55k1om3/
https://postimg.org/image/tbgwrdt3v/

Appreciate any help.

Regards,
Gabe.

deepakdeshp
Level 11
Level 11

Re: New dual boot mint 18.3 install

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:44 am

Very nicely explained

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

michael louwe
Level 9
Level 9

Post by michael louwe » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:56 am

@ gaboalonso, .......
gaboalonso wrote:...
You shouldn't be using OEM Install which is for manufacturers only. Use the normal Install LM.

What is the brand, model and specifications of your computer.?

First, ensure that Fast Startup is disabled in Win 10,(>Control Panel >Power options), Secure Boot, Fast Boot and CSM(Legacy BIOS) are disabled and the Live LM USB/DVD is booted in UEFI mode in UEFI/BIOS setup.

Use the manual "Something else" install option, delete all the Linux partitions to create a new free-space, partition the free-space accordingly(eg / partition = 100GB, Swap partition = 2 times RAM size and remaining GB = Home partition) and ensure that the "Device for boot loader installation" is the Windows EFI System Partition(= fat32/104MB), ie /sda2.

UEFI GPT disks can have up to 128 Primary partitions. So, no need to use Logical partitions for the LM install.

gaboalonso
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gaboalonso » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:46 pm

Hi @michael louwe

Unfortunately I can\t use the regular LM installer, since the [continue[ button is disabled.

https://postimg.org/image/z0t0h2j1n/

This is for all the options.
Sorry for the brackets, can-t find quotes keys from the installer.

As for brand and model, its an old dell G4, Intel i3. I can post a cat/proc/stuff if you think it can help, not doing it right now because it is too long.

Regarding the bios options, have them all already checked, since I had linux already. My /home and everything important is backed up as well. I just want to know which partitions to delete, and how to go about reinstalling without messing up grub and win10.

Thanks and regards,
Gabe.

Return to “Newbie Questions”