4.13 kernel installed when chose 4.4

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ArtGirl

4.13 kernel installed when chose 4.4

Post by ArtGirl »

Hi, I chose the 4.4.0-112 kernel download [no 4.13 update was showing], just to update base kernel for now, even though I'm running 4.13, and was surprised to see 4.13.0.31 downloading. Aside from one other issue, updates have always been great. Was this update rushed out and unfortunately mislabelled? Makes me a bit concerned if other updates may behave similarly, where there'd not be the option to revert without formatting machine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 4.13 kernel download happened when chose 4.4

Post by Tomgin5 »

Methinks the 4.13 kernel was downloaded because of the amd or intel bug fix was included for your CPU.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

From your signature I guess that you are still using 18.1. Mintupdate has/had a bug with labeling updates properly, which was fixed in 18.2/18.3. If you click on an update, you should always check the last line of the description, which lists all the packages - they show the "real" version numbers/package names :)
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

You might need to update to Mint 18.2 or Mint 18.3 to fix that issue with Mintupdate
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Thank you for responses. I normally am very careful to read changelogs, but had trusted this update, with it being a critical one. I've never had any issues with mintupdate, in 8 months, except router/ipad exchange broken at one point, and sometimes a missing changelog. Have had none of the issues I see people having when I search posts about mintupdate, which is surreal. :? I can't update to 18.3; had a critical problem with encrypted home's 'inbetween' password being forcibly changed when I logged into wifi, which broke the exchange. Things wouldn't run, and had to format, and didn't want to run system without encrypted home. I also like mdm's creativity, and ia32lib inbuilt; I know I can install those on 18.3, but the other issue was too bad (and unfortunately no responses), plus desktop icons issues. Couldn't see any need to use anything other than 18.1. It's supported until 2021, is what I first used on Linux and works best for art/ref display and games.

Will definitely be far more careful about updates, checking the last lines, and sticking to levels 1/2, unless meltdown/spectre-related and the last lines check out. Thanks. Is there any way mintupdate can be fixed within 18.1? It seems rather unfortunate that this issue would be a known risk for the next three years.
ArtGirl

Re: 4.13 kernel installed when chose 4.4

Post by ArtGirl »

I'd been mistaken ... 4.13 update had installed as well as downloaded, when I chose the 4.4. Have edited first post to reflect that. I'd just gone to see about installing the new 4.13, and realised it had already installed.
Schallaven

Post by Schallaven »

Yes, as I said, it is just a labelling bug: mintupdate groups package logically together; sometimes that does not work well and the whole group gets the version number of a minor package (in your case, I assume that linux-libc-dev was included in this group and caused to show 4.4.something for the whole group).

You can always clone/download the Github repo of mintupdate and install this version by running "test" (you only need to do this once; it will replace mintupdate of the system with the new one then; however: own risk). But I would not bother with that, just be aware of this labelling bug, always check the last line of description before you apply updates and you are fine :)
ArtGirl

Post by ArtGirl »

Schallaven wrote:Yes, as I said, it is just a labelling bug: mintupdate groups package logically together; sometimes that does not work well and the whole group gets the version number of a minor package (in your case, I assume that linux-libc-dev was included in this group and caused to show 4.4.something for the whole group).

You can always clone/download the Github repo of mintupdate and install this version by running "test" (you only need to do this once; it will replace mintupdate of the system with the new one then; however: own risk). But I would not bother with that, just be aware of this labelling bug, always check the last line of description before you apply updates and you are fine :)
Thanks :) Yes, the cloning sounds tricky; will be sure to check the last line carefully.

Return to “Beginner Questions”