Kernel question

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Kernel question

Post by Executioner »

I had to roll back my kernel to 4.10.0.42 because Virtual Box would lock up the PC - frozen. Had to power down and restart.

During boot, I held down the shift key and saw all the different kernels. My question is:
I saw 3 different copies: generic, upstart, and recovery mode. I selected generic, but was curious what the other copies are for.

Next, since I selected this kernel, will it stay this way, or do I have to delete the others on top of the stack? If I have to delete them, how do I delete them?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Kernel question

Post by catweazel »

4.10 is end of life and no longer receives updates. If you don't have an AM4 socket CPU (Ryzen, A8 and A10), you'd be better off on kernel 4.4.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

@ Executioner, .......
Executioner wrote:...
To delete unwanted and unstable kernels, go to >Update Manager >View >Linux kernels >Remove.

If there are 2 kernels installed, by default, LM will boot to the latest kernel, eg boot 4.10 over 4.4.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Upstart is an alternative to systemd, the default init process in Mint. This option will attempt to boot the machine using Upstart.

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/

Recovery is a way of booting into a terminal environment as root user in order to fix broken things or further bork your machine depending on your capabilities :D

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Although you did not say it, but I am at 99 % sure, that your VB version is the outdated version 5.0.x. Freezes with kernel 4.13 are a known fact nad predictable. VB 5.1.x and 5.2.x have fixed this problem.
Executioner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Executioner »

Cosmo. wrote:Although you did not say it, but I am at 99 % sure, that your VB version is the outdated version 5.0.x. Freezes with kernel 4.13 are a known fact nad predictable. VB 5.1.x and 5.2.x have fixed this problem.
Yes the old version 5.0.40

Going to the VB website, which one do I download? It has several Ubuntu flavors listed:
Ubuntu 17.04 ("Zesty") / 17.10 ("Artful") i386 | AMD64
Ubuntu 16.10 ("Yakkety") i386 | AMD64
Ubuntu 16.04 ("Xenial") i386 | AMD64
Ubuntu 14.04 ("Trusty") / 14.10 ("Utopic") / 15.04 ("Vivid") i386 | AMD64

I'm running the x64 version of Mint 18.3 Cinnamon.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Xenial for Mint 18.x
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

smurphos' answer is correct, but you need also to take the correct version for the architecture of your Mint. If you have the 64 bit version you must take the AMD64 version (this has nothing to do, whether you have an Intel or AMD CPU), for 32 bit take i386.

Return to “Beginner Questions”