Blank Screen Linux Kernel 4.13.0-26 and -31 on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-Bit

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
HarleyLorenzo
Level 1
Level 1

Blank Screen Linux Kernel 4.13.0-26 and -31 on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-Bit

Post by HarleyLorenzo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:20 am

Since the update to kernel version 4.13.0.-26 (and subsequently -31), my graphics and screen have been completely blank when the login screen should appear. I have not been able to find a solution to this on 4.13 and I have just been reverting back to 4.10 on boot as it still works.

Here is my hardware info:

Code: Select all

harley@msd-01-lm ~ $ hwinfo --short
cpu:                                                            
                       Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2500 MHz
                       Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2493 MHz
                       Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2428 MHz
                       Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3120M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2494 MHz
keyboard:
                       Microdia SI Gaming Keyboard
                       Holtek USB Laser Game Mouse
  /dev/input/event3    AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
mouse:
                       Wacom Intuos PS
  /dev/input/mice      SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad
monitor:
                       SAMSUNG LCD Monitor
                       E19T6W
graphics card:
                       Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller
sound:
                       Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
                       Licensed by Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Stereo Headset
                       INSIGNIA USB MIC Device
storage:
                       Intel 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode]
network:
  wlp2s0               Realtek RTL8188EE Wireless Network Adapter
  enp1s0               Qualcomm Atheros AR8162 Fast Ethernet
  wlxb0b2dcddefcc      ZyXEL N220 802.11bgn Wireless Adapter
network interface:
  wlxb0b2dcddefcc      Ethernet network interface
  wlp2s0               Ethernet network interface
  tun0                 Network Interface
  enp1s0               Ethernet network interface
  lo                   Loopback network interface
disk:
  /dev/sda             TOSHIBA MQ01ABD0
partition:
  /dev/sda1            Partition
  /dev/sda2            Partition
  /dev/sda3            Partition
  /dev/sda4            Partition
  /dev/sda5            Partition
  /dev/sda6            Partition
usb controller:
                       Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2
                       Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1
                       Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller
bios:
                       BIOS
bridge:
                       Intel 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller
                       Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 2
                       Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1
                       Intel HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller
hub:
                       Genesys Logic Hub
                       Intel Integrated Rate Matching Hub
                       Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                       Texas Instruments TUSB2046 Hub
                       Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
                       Intel Integrated Rate Matching Hub
memory:
                       Main Memory
unknown:
                       FPU
                       DMA controller
                       PIC
                       Keyboard controller
                       Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller
                       Intel 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family MEI Controller #1
                       HP Webcam HD-2200
                       Licensed by Sony Computer Entertainment Wireless Stereo Headset
                       INSIGNIA USB MIC Device
                       Wacom Intuos PS
                       Microdia SI Gaming Keyboard
                       Realtek RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
If there is any other information needed that could help diagnose the problem or help find a solution, please ask and I will do my best to provide.

ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Blank Screen Linux Kernel 4.13.0-26 and -31 on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-Bit

Post by ejazzkatt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 am

I have the same problem with 4.13.0-26 in Kubuntu 16.04 and I have to revert back to an earlier kernel to be able to boot up too

Hoser Rob
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Blank Screen Linux Kernel 4.13.0-26 and -31 on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-Bit

Post by Hoser Rob » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:28 am

It's actually not so unusual for a Linux kernel update to break something, and there's no simple fix. I'd try the kernel suggestion for 18.1 here:

viewtopic.php?f=90&p=1412167#p1412167

Sir Charles
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Sir Charles » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:37 am

HarleyLorenzo wrote:Since the update to kernel version 4.13.0.-26 (and subsequently -31), my graphics and screen have been completely blank when the login screen should appear. I have not been able to find a solution to this on 4.13 and I have just been reverting back to 4.10 on boot as it still works.
You could maybe try 4.4.0-112. At least it comes with patches for Meltdown. If it will solve your issue, I couldn't tell. It's a hit and miss I guess in these days of frequent kernel updates,
I suppose that's one of the ironies of life, doing the wrong thing at the right moment -C.C.

ejazzkatt
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ejazzkatt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Update Manager offered me a new kernel today for Linux Mint 18.3 which I haven't installed yet. You should remove some of the old kernels, keeping at least one that does boot successfully. After that, you can try booting with the kernel that didn't before or you can try ignoring it and try the newly released kernel. I posted above that Kubuntu 16.04 wouldn't boot with the same kernel that you had problems with. There was a new kernel release today for that version of Kubuntu and my computer will boot with the new kernel.

HarleyLorenzo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HarleyLorenzo » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:45 am

Marziano wrote:
HarleyLorenzo wrote:Since the update to kernel version 4.13.0.-26 (and subsequently -31), my graphics and screen have been completely blank when the login screen should appear. I have not been able to find a solution to this on 4.13 and I have just been reverting back to 4.10 on boot as it still works.
You could maybe try 4.4.0-112. At least it comes with patches for Meltdown. If it will solve your issue, I couldn't tell. It's a hit and miss I guess in these days of frequent kernel updates,
I'll stick with 4.4 until the 4.13 line starts working I think unless a different fix comes around. At least this way I can have meltdown patched.

Return to “Newbie Questions”