[SOLVED] Accidentally Updated Kernel / VirtualBox Broken

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
WoToo
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Accidentally Updated Kernel / VirtualBox Broken

Post by WoToo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm

I haven't touched the settings on this machine except for updates in ages. I accidentally installed a level 4-5 kernel update. It broke my VirtualBox which I absolutely need for work.

Commands like

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure virtualbox-dkms
Fail at lines:

* Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules [ OK ] 
* Starting VirtualBox kernel modules                                            
* No suitable module for running kernel found [fail]
I tried to revert to previous kernel on grub but only get garbage at startup. I can phone screenshot if necessary. I would do an entire wipe and update of the system (it's old) but I need to keep VB data intact and I don't even know where it is. The icon for the app disappeared with the above command.

It's freaking me out. What can I do to salvage this? VirtualBox data is the only thing I need to save and move if I update. Everything else is accounted for.
Last edited by Moem on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can do this for your own topics. Thanks!

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Accidentally Updated Kernel / VirtualBox Broken

Post by Termy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:29 pm

This is a common issue with the 4.13 kernel version, which I assume you're using, sadly, thanks to the Spectre and Meltdown fiasco. Until these issues with VirtualBox (I use VB as well) have been resolved, somehow, it seems to be advised for us to go down to the 4.4 series. 4.11 would probably work, but that, AFAIK, doesn't have patches for Meltdown and Spectre. 4.4.0-112 (when available) should do the job, or 4.4.0-109 if the other isn't available yet. I use both: the former on my Ubuntu setup, and the latter on my Linux Mint 18.3 virtual machine. You may need to remove the virtualbox-dkms package before installing the new kernel version, then install it again afterwards.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg
I'm also terminalforlife (TFL) on GitHub: https://github.com/terminalforlife

Flemur
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Flemur » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:46 pm

WoToo wrote:I accidentally installed a level 4-5 kernel update. It broke my VirtualBox which I absolutely need for work.
You don't say which kernel, but I had vbox 5.2 working fine with 4.13 kernel. It ran a virtual machine created with earlier versions.
Edit: Extra repo for 5.2:

deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian xenial contrib
- Which kernel?
- Which version of v-box?
Try re-installing virtualbox w/synaptic and watch the messages.
I would do an entire wipe and update of the system (it's old) but I need to keep VB data intact and I don't even know where it is. The icon for the app disappeared with the above command.
Well heck, since wine 3.0 can run the (one main) program I needed virtualbox for, I removed it and all its local files - yesterday.
This should "find" them -

find $HOME -iname "*vbox*" 

find $HOME -iname "*virtu*" 
(IIRC, some of the names have capital letters).
I gather you're trying to find the saved "virtual machine" (the OS and its programs and files)?

One of the .xml files under $HOME will point to where it is, or you can look for a BIG file (mine was about 10G for win7). I had mine set up so the v-machine was on a different partition, but I think by default it should be under your $HOME.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:04 pm

Go into a terminal and enter echo "$VBOX_USER_HOME"; the path that should followed, is where your virtual machines are stored; if you get no output, then you'll want to try Flemur's suggestion, although I would add to that by saying: if you know the format you chose for your VB drives, you can also find those (such as -name "*.vdi), and specify the search is for files by using the -type f expression.
Here to help.

I'm LearnLinux (LL) on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfp-lN ... naEE6NtDSg

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:59 pm

You missed to tell the version of VB, but it sounds, as if you use the far outdated 5.0.x. Upgrade VB to 5.1.x (preferred for stability) or 5.2.x.

WoToo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WoToo » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:01 pm

Hello all! Thank you for your suggestions!!! I fixed it!

My kernel was:

4.4.0-111-generic
I had 5.0.4.dfsg-2 VB.

I found and saved my Vbox files as per Flemur.

And through his code snippet found this:
https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/virtual ... nt-17.html

As I'm running Linux Mint 17 still, I think. Thank you again :) I gotta update this box sometime though. Maybe will wait right for 19.

catweazel
Level 14
Level 14

Post by catweazel » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:29 am

Termy wrote:This is a common issue with the 4.13 kernel version, which I assume you're using, sadly, thanks to the Spectre and Meltdown fiasco. Until these issues with VirtualBox (I use VB as well) have been resolved, somehow, it seems to be advised for us to go down to the 4.4 series. 4.11 would probably work, but that, AFAIK, doesn't have patches for Meltdown and Spectre. 4.4.0-112 (when available) should do the job, or 4.4.0-109 if the other isn't available yet. I use both: the former on my Ubuntu setup, and the latter on my Linux Mint 18.3 virtual machine. You may need to remove the virtualbox-dkms package before installing the new kernel version, then install it again afterwards.
Just an fyi, Termy... I don't recommend kernel 4.4 without first checking if the OP has an AM4 socket or not. If the OP does have AM4 then 4.11 is really the only solution, otherwise there's a b0rked linux to deal with.

Cheers.
A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it. - Max Planck

Termy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Termy » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:53 am

Oh. :? Crap, I wasn't aware of that. That's bizarre. So if you have an AM4 socket, you're screwed as far as a patched kernel for Meltdown and Spectre? That sucks. Here's hoping that gets sorted ASAP. Luckily, it's easy to change kernels, so it's not a disaster yet. lol
Here to help.

Return to “Newbie Questions”