Firefox dumped my bookmarks

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Firefox dumped my bookmarks

Post by turtlebay » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm

I did an update as normal and the latest Firefox was installed. When I went to use it it had lost all my bookmarks and lost all my remembered log ins and passwords. Has anyone else had this problem? Using Mint 18.1 Mate 32bit.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Firefox dumped my bookmarks

Post by xenopeek » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:21 am

I've not seen that problem before. If you go to Show All Bookmarks (Ctrl+Shift+O with the last one being letter Oh), can you restore from a backup there? You can also try opening your file manager and toggling to show hidden files (Ctrl+H) and opening the .mozilla directory you can now see. From there go into the firefox directory. There should be one, or in your case perhaps two, directories with a lot of random looking letters and numbers in them. Check in all of these if they have a subdirectory bookmarkbackups and if there are files in that with a date from before you upgraded Firefox. You'd be able to restore from that.

Do you have a backup you can restore from? If not I'd suggest you consider this a good time to take the time to arrange this. Deja Dup is a easy backup program to back up your personal files. Any file you don't have a backup for is a file you don't care about losing. Hard disks do fail suddenly.

greenstar
Level 1
Level 1

Post by greenstar » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:14 pm

Backing up Firefox appears to me to be a dark art, considering how important to many of us passwords and bookmarks are. And we get the messages from Firefox, 'Oh, your browser is out of date, it's important to update', and then find , for example that the new version does not support FEBE, which I used, and yes, all bookmarks gone, could npt use FEBE to restore. Pages of suppliers gone gleaned from many hours of trawling too.
Sothis could be good - in future - 'Check in all of these if they have a subdirectory bookmarkbackups'

How exactly does one undertake backing up from that file?

Moem
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Moem » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 pm

greenstar wrote:we get the messages from Firefox, 'Oh, your browser is out of date, it's important to update',
I can't remember ever seeing such a message. I get my updates automatically through the Update Manager.

An easy way to backup your bookmarks is to export them as HTML.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

trytip
Level 6
Level 6

Post by trytip » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 pm

look in .mozilla/firefox/you.default/bookmarkbackups/ not sure if FF keeps backups but palemoon does.

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:31 pm

I had made a backup of my bookmarks as it happens so I wasn't too badly affected, but I wondered why an update of Firefox should erase them. It was when I updated F/F to version 56 and I have absolutely no desire to cripple my system, by moving to 57! It was the loss of my, so called '' saved log ins and passwords'', which was such a nuisance.

In answer to Moem, on my other copy of Mint (17.3 Mate x64) on another partition on the same hard drive, I get that 'update now' warning every day as I'm using v 55.0.2.

Several companies products seem to be following Microsoft's lead, on Win 10 of 'we know best what is best for your computer and you have no say in it'. Firefox is one and Google is another.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:57 pm

turtlebay wrote:on my other copy of Mint (17.3 Mate x64) on another partition on the same hard drive, I get that 'update now' warning every day as I'm using v 55.0.2.
If one shoots willingly in his own foot, he should not assume, that anything is usual, what he encounters. And even more obvious: You should not expect that other users do the same mistake (and getting the same observation). Using today FF 55.x is merely like shooting in both feet at once - or even worse.

The alternatives have been discussed in the forum often enough. I have no intention, to add this topic here for the hundredth time.

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Cosmo. wrote:If one shoots willingly in his own foot, he should not assume, that anything is usual, what he encounters. And even more obvious: You should not expect that other users do the same mistake (and getting the same observation). Using today FF 55.x is merely like shooting in both feet at once - or even worse.

The alternatives have been discussed in the forum often enough. I have no intention, to add this topic here for the hundredth time.
With respect, I did not ask for your opinions. I asked if other people had had their data destroyed by an update.

Mintedfake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintedfake » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 pm

I have to confess that I have been using FF 56 up to today whilst trying to decide between FF 57, FF 52 ESR and Palemoon. I have decided to update to FF57 in a few minutes and try it whilst reading https://forums.informaction.com/viewtop ... =7&t=23974 carefully. I have backups of the FF54 and 56 profiles

I do think that Mozilla have treated their users and addon developers abominably and have caused me at least a great deal of stress. There is obvious loss of function in addons such as Epub Reader, where the new version did not work at all. I have the old version on Palemoon but I don't know how to import my library from the backup of the FF 54 profile.

Anyway wish me luck with FF 57!

Mintedfake
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mintedfake » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Now posting with FF 58.0. Seems to work but has a bigger border on top and they have changed how bookmarks are displayed. The good news is that my bookmarks and login details seem to have survived. I tend to prefer Palemoon's look but I will try to get used to the quantum leap into the dark.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:58 am

turtlebay wrote:With respect, I did not ask for your opinions.
I did not write about opinion. I wrote, that you cannot expect other users to use such an old version like 55.x and consequently they will not get the same observation. Word by word:
Cosmo. wrote:And even more obvious: You should not expect that other users do the same mistake (and getting the same observation).
turtlebay wrote:I asked if other people had had their data destroyed by an update.
Never.

Return to “Newbie Questions”